Finding resources to buy insect predators for eriophyid mites

carolinamaryMay 7, 2010

Hi Folks,

I'm an organic rose grower here and have just had to eliminate 6 of the roses from my yard because they contracted Rose Rosette Disease. As I'm not willing to spray Avid to kill the particular kind of eriophydid mites that are responsible for spreading Rose Rosette Disease, I'm hoping someone here might have some relevant experience or knowledge with purchasing biological controls for eriophydid mites. (The specific kind of eriophydid mite that is the vector for Rose Rosette Disease is the Phyllocoptes fructiphilus mite, but I'm assuming that anything eating other eriophydid mites will probably eat this kind too.)

I've read in a few places that there are some critters (especially mites) that like to eat mites, including one critter that is supposed to be specifically interested in ingesting eriophyid mites. This predator is Amblyseius andersoni. (Another kind of mite, I assume.) Unfortunately I've had no luck with Google in finding sellers anywhere in the United States, though it wouldn't be the first time that Google has returned results only for every country EXCEPT the United States, where I live (and have done nothing to make Google periodically misbehave).

I'd appreciate hearing of any resources you know about in locating places to buy natural predators of eriophyid mites. Thanks so much for any help.

Best wishes,

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anney(Georgia 8)

Arbico sells mite predators. I use them for other gardening needs, haven't ordered predator insects from them, but they're very reliable with what I have ordered. I'd speak to their entymologist first to see if the predator mite linked to might help or if they have one that's better.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 6:03AM
carolinamary

Anney, thanks so much for this information.

Best wishes,
Mary

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 10:54PM
    Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 1:40AM
carolinamary

Henry, thanks so much. The Association of Natural Bio-control Producers website is a gem.

Best wishes,
Mary

Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
Roundup got sprayed on my organic garden.. need advice
Anyone know the extents of danger on this happening...
flo9
Concrete blocks
It's getting harder and harder to know exactly what's...
catherinet
fraud?
This article may interest some here. http://www.naturalnews.com/048892_Altered_Genes_Twisted_Truth_biotech_science_fraud_Jane_Goodall.html kimmq...
kimmq
opinion on Martha Stewart organic seeds?
i can't seem to get any information on them. Really...
rathdrumid
trustworthy organic fertilizer
Is Espoma truly an organic product company?
Linda Ziegler
Sponsored Products
Medallion Boudoir Sham 12" x 16" - HONEY
$123.00 | Horchow
Livex Lighting Ceiling Mounted Lighting Providence 84 in. Outdoor White Post
Home Depot
Calphalon 32-in. Straight Wall Pot Rack - GW32
$40.00 | Hayneedle
Outdoor Lighting. Cabernet Collection 2 Light 93 in. Outdoor Rust Pole Lantern w
Home Depot
Small Pewter Three-Light Bell Flush Mount with Star Glass
$310.00 | Bellacor
EON Resin Outdoor Conversation Set - GLC015
Hayneedle
Alfresco Home Hemingway High Back All-Weather Wicker Swivel Dining Chair - Set o
$823.00 | Hayneedle
Filament Design Lamps Catherine 72 in. 2 Light Incandescent Satin Chrome Floor
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™