Macrobulbon section of Bulbophyllum

orchidnickFebruary 9, 2011

After 14 years of looking, on and off, I have finally acquired the last of the macrobulbons. In 1997 I purchased a big Bulbophyllum from Kawamoto Orchids while on vacation in Hawaii. It had 2 tags, B phaelanopsis and B fletcherianum. I was told that if the flowers have little yellow worm like hairs it's phaelanopsis, if there are no hairs it's fletcherianum. A few years later it bloomed, no hairs and I got an AM/AOS award. They renamed it B spiesii but since then it's name has reverted to fletcherianum which is what I always have called it. That was the second award for on of these in the US, B spiesii 'Paul's Fragrance' AM/AOS. I named it in honor of my flatulent son who helped me build a green house.

That awakened my interest in the subgroup of macrobulbons but it has taken me until today to get all 6 of them. Finally secured a B cruentum from Tom Nasser at Carolina Orchids and now have the following plants:

B agastor 'Magnifico' CBR/AOS

B cruentum (not here yet but it will be)

B fletcherianum 'Paul's Fragrance' AM/AOS (the award was given to B spiesii)

B macrobulbon

B orthosepalum

B phaelanopsis 'Zuma Canyon' CMR/AOS

Sometimes you have to wonder what drives us to these endeavors. Anyway, I'm happy I finally have these six. Now am lokking for a Dendrobium dearii, also as rare as hen's teeth, if anyone has a lead, let me know.

Nick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
.SoS.

Den. dearei isnt all that rare. Mine isnt too happy after being repotted, Ill look tomorrow.

Quite jealous you found the rarer 3. I have a 'Zuma Canyon' division, macrobulbon and fletcherianum. Ive heard different things Carolina Orchids concerning identifications, but that drive for some sort of completion is difficult to shake.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 10:54PM
orchidnick

It (B cruentum) arrived in the mail today, delayed by bad weather, definitely a nice plant. Also got a B sigaldii in spike with an umbrell of strong flowers in the process of opening. That plant had a number of synonyms like B vietnamense, B dalatense and all of the above repeated under Cirrhopetalum but Garey recently pulled it all together and now it is only known as B sigaldii. Apparently smells to high heaven, I can't wait for it to open so I can take it to my daughter's home for decoration.

I have bought from Carolina Orchids before and always was very pleased. I consider them one of the better sources of hard to find Bulbos.

Nick

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 3:53PM
highjack(z6 KY)

My husband just got back from Tom's on Wednesday and yes, a few more bulbo followed him home. Enjoy your stinky family, I prefer the fragrant, as in nice, type.

Brooke

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 6:21AM
orchidnick

Brooke, your husband is a lucky man to be envied. Living close enough to Tom to actually visit.

It's an acquired taste, in the nose of the beholder. I don't get to enjoy my 'nice' orchids very much, when in bloom, my daughters haul them off to decorate their homes. The Pleuros, Stelis, Bulbos etc, are safe from these pirates.

Nick

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 10:15AM
highjack(z6 KY)

Nick I guess that makes me lucky too since I live with my husband.

Brooke

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 5:11PM
orchidnick

I have no doubt you both can be considered lucky. Pardon my earlier sarcasm.

Nick

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 5:29PM
elvis

Nick, a Google search turned up a few den. dearii. Apparently they're out there~~

Con.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
Orchid IDs?
I got a few orchids within the months from places like...
fuzzballiscute
Exchange forum
Is the exchange forum still sponsored on Houzz? If...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Orchid forum link
Hi Bob, This is the link you sent me. I hope it works. Thank...
tanie51
First Orchid!
Just bought my first orchid - a den-phal! I had never...
jeffatlanta (7b, Atlanta, GA)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™