Seaweed Gardening

linchat(10b)May 7, 2008

I know their has been many posts, but, have not clearly got an answer to these questions.

Do I need to dry seaweed before mulching with it? Why?

I live east coast Florida, do I need to be concerned about contamination from seaweed? Arsenic, Ecoli and so forth?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

In any general sense there is no need to dry your seaweed before using it as a mulch, however, rinsing it to remove as much sea water as possible is a good idea. Whether you need be concerned about contamination depends on where you are and where you are collecting that seaweed. Some places will contain enough pollutants to be of concern while other places the pollutants will be so dilute they are not a concern.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 7:29AM
pnbrown

Don't bother with rinsing; just leave it in a pile and let it get a couple of good rain-drenches. Seaweed dries out wicked fast and then will pretty much cease to break down, especially in florida sun and sand soil. I would put it on wet and then put a couple inches of sand over it to help keep it moist.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 8:33AM
annpatt

You don't need to rinse seaweed by any method. Thalassa Cruso, Eliot Coleman and the author of the Good Green Garden, whose name I cannot remember, all say that rinsing is unnecessary. I don't know anything about Florida, but Maine seaweed is edible, and I assume fairly pollutant free.

I use all I can get my hands on. Seaweed does dry out quickly, but every time it rains, it rehydrates, which is one reason I like it so much.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 1:01PM
pnbrown

Yes, it's quite unlikely that one could introduce enough seaweed to seriously salinize the soil. The Nearings used hardly anything else for compost in their Maine place (Coleman was their star disciple) and apparently never had a problem.....

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 8:37PM
robin_maine

We had seaweed to our garden yearly. I use it for mulch. It's an excellent weed suppressant. It's also excellent for tea used to water plants. It's the only "fertilizer" I use for thousands of seedlings every year. When I have enough for mulch the next loads go into the compost bins. There's no need to rinse it.

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 7:04AM
celticgarden(z6b CT)

How do all of you collect it? I have loaded it into trash bags and hauled it that way but wet seaweed is heavy. Not to mention the odd looks from the multitudes of CT people who don't know anything or much about sustainable growing. What a gift seaweed is!

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 11:10AM
More Discussions
Caterpillars - removing them the humane way
I have a small organic garden plot in my backyard (which...
kapha
Organic Plant Surfactant
I'm currently trying to decide on a surfactant to use...
knowboddy
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
Rock salt and asparagus
Someone told me he contols weeds in his asparagus patch...
kept
organic way to be rid of rain barrel squigglies
I have squigglies in my rain barrels, probably they...
applemum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™