Crazy vegetable

organic_landerMay 27, 2011

I looked over forum selection and did not see a forum that might work for this question. I garden organic so I thought might as well post my question here.

We had a very bad spring down here in zone 8b. I was planting, then having to plant some more because of weather conditions. If a plant looked bad I would just plant another transplant or direct sow some seed right next to the unhealthy seedlings. Later on I would make the decision of which plants I would keep. Well nature did the work for me so I went on and just did not give it another thought until yesterday. I have two heirloom crookneck squash plants that I thought was only one plant, the stems of the squash are only about two inches apart. Well let me tell you what those two plants have gone crazy. They just started forming girls over the past few days (all of the other squash plants are all ready setting fruit) and one of them has nine girls and the other four. Whats going on here? Did I create some kind of SUPER SQUASH PLANT?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jolj(7b/8a)

That sounds like the kind of crookneck squash my father grew, when I was young. You had to walk around the huge plants to make sure you had found all the squash. He did not like any squash over 3 days old, must be young & tender.
I do not know the name of them, only that we planted a whole row every year.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Transplanting Strawberries
I have numerous strawberry plants that grew out of...
Gregory Wilhelm
Nematodes
I was going to order some beneficial nematodes and...
woohooman
organic way to be rid of rain barrel squigglies
I have squigglies in my rain barrels, probably they...
applemum
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
Earth, A new wild
If you have not yet seen this series, there are 4 programs,...
kimmq
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™