My poor little Phalaenopsis

nelumboMarch 23, 2011

Hi everyone!

About 1 week ago I went to the flower shop and bought a bouquet for a birthday. Then I saw one poor Phalaenopsis and it has 2 leaves (both of them has broken (not all leaf but still)) and only 3-4 roots. The roots were sad, too. I'll let you some pictures of them. Then maybe you can see and say, what can I do with it.

http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee400/Sequoiadendron/?action=view&current=SAM_0182.jpg

http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee400/Sequoiadendron/?action=view&current=SAM_0182.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1225.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fee400%2FSequoiadendron%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DSAM_0183.jpg

Will it survive? I have transplant it, too but I don't know, what to do next?

Denis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

I'm in the same boat as you Denis. I bought 2 Phals that were on sale because they had finished flowering. Both looked very healthy when I bought them. Since then, I noticed that one of them was drooping badly so I took a close look and noticed it had mealy bugs. I solved that problem but it didn't do any better so I repotted. It was then I noticed that the pot it had been in, still had the holes sealed, no one had bothered to punch them out! When I took it out of its pot, I noticed that the roots were mostly rotted. I cut most of them away but amazingly the plant is setting buds. I finished repotting and am now hoping it survives. Think it will stay alive? I will be following this thread to see what advice you get. Marg

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 12:40PM
organic_kermit(6)

I got to tell you that I don't think that fella looks too good. I am not a big fan of bringing plants like that back to life myself. But usually when a phal is missing the more recent leaves it is a goner.It barely has any roots either to support it.
You could bag it in some sphagnum moss and see how it goes...

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 8:56PM
Greencurls(Z5)

My opinion is strictly anecdotal but I think that it will pull through. It is a matter of patience because I am sure it is going to take some time for it to recover (of course assuming it recovers). I purchased a sad little phal like that a while ago. It took almost 18 months for it to recover fully. It sent out a flower spike about a year after I got it but I had to cut it back because it was taking too much energy from the plant. However my sad little phal is much happier now. It just took a looong time.

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Orchid forum link
Hi Bob, This is the link you sent me. I hope it works. Thank...
tanie51
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
Short spikes? Causes?
I did get quite a few of my Phals to set spikes , but...
dakota01
How to repot Prosthechea radiata cochleata?
I purchased this plant (with the little shell-like...
meri10
Phal yellowing.... bottom two leaves, interior roots, base of crown
I received this phal as a Valentine's Day present,...
kmaxxy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™