Composted Chicken Manure as Fertilizer?

darknovaMay 21, 2011

I'm working on a project to revitalize my vegetable garden, and the first step has involved putting down compost (our soil is 80-90% sand and we have virtually no organic material in it). My second step is to put down some sort of organic fertilizer.

At the feed store I purchased 40 pounds of a composted organic dried chicken manure, "Chickity Doo Doo", which is listed as 5-3-2.5. It seemed reasonably priced at $13 for the 40 pounds. I'm wondering if this composted chicken manure will work well for providing nutrients to the soil web? Or would something like alfalfa meal or soybean meal work better? How long does it take for composted manure to be broken down by microbes? Thanks for the advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracydr(9b)

My parents still talk about the year they put a truckload of turkey manure on their big garden. They had such a huge harvest it was unbelievable!
I just got 25 chicks. You better believe the manure will be going to go in the garden!

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 12:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The nutrients in poultry manure are fairly water soluble and can be washed out of your soil with the excess water easily unless there is adequate levels of orgnaic matter in the soil to help hold them there. Work to get the amount of organic matter in your soil to the 5 to 8 percent level, which may well be all that is necessary to make a good, healthy soil with a balanced level of nutrients.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 7:21AM
More Discussions
What, specifically, is the objection (of many) to Milorganite?
I know there used to be a problem or worry of a problem...
gonebananas_gw
Organic way to get rid of Bermuda grass
Probably a hopeless cause, but is there any way to...
kathyp
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
(un)Covering a Cover Crop?
I have a couple raised beds. Last fall, I planted a...
bassopotamus
How to get rid of yellow jackets
We have a large nest of yellow jackets in the ground...
annafl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™