rice hull mulch

tracydr(9b)May 30, 2010

I have a reasonably cheap supply of rice hulls. I will also be moving my horses to a new location where I will have unlimited supply of soiled rice hulls as I will be bedding their stalls with the stuff. Of course, I'll let the used stuff get well aged before using it.

Has anyone used this for mulch before? I'd like to use it on the areas near our house where looks are important and I'm growing veggies/herbs. A little concerned that the antibacterial treatment might effect soil web?:

Ross worked with a chemist to formulate a specialized coating to treat rice hulls creating a new bedding product. He has specially treated the rice hulls with anti-bacterial drying agents and coagulants to create soft bedding that absorbs and eliminates odor without requiring huge amounts of bedding to be stripped from the stall. Many users have reduced their waste removal costs dramatically.

What do you think? Safe, unsafe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

That depends on the source of the rice. Rice growing is among one of the most heavily dosed with pesticides crops grown in the world, even though there is ample evidence that they grow better, with higher yields, organically. If you can find a good supply of organically grown rice you may well have a good mulch material.

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 8:52AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

I wouldn't use anything treated with an anti-bac in the garden. And I doubt in that state there are that many organic rice farmers so there might be a slight risk of residual goop, but the anti-bac is the thing that would keep me from using them.

Dan

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 11:03AM
nandina(8b)

Based on your question I did a long search trying to figure out (1)what antibacterial/drying agents are added to the rice hulls and (2)how do the manufacturers of this product suggest disposal when it is removed as animal bedding? I could not find an answer to either question. I am not comfortable with the thought of using treated rice hulls on edible gardens. Will check to see if this bedding product is being used in this area by our throughbred and polo horse farms.

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 3:32PM
luke_oh(zone 5 NE Ohio)

I used a mix of potting soil and rice hulls for a blueberry potting mix. The ricehulls came in large heavy plastic bales and were parboiled. I assumed that the parboiling was to eliminate anything living in the hulls and give them a washing? They worked well to drain the potted soil. How is this for bedding? Does it absorb the urine?

Luke

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
This article may be of interest to some here
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/why-your-garden-needs-fertilizer--or-not/2015/02/10/153eb5b8-ad6e-11e4-ad71-7b9eba0f87d6_story.html kimmq...
kimmq
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow organic vegetables in coco coir and are looking...
little sur farm
Earth, A new wild
If you have not yet seen this series, there are 4 programs,...
kimmq
Got tomatoes?
The organic Earthbox tomatoes have been coming in nicely...
MrClint
Re aphids - don't ants eat aphids?
I found what I think are aphids on my Salvia. Only...
ellenr22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™