spikes dying

juniperbreaMarch 7, 2013

I have this phal orchid that I received as a gift two years ago. The flowers fell off and I cut the spike back to the bottom. It gained two new leaves, then sat for a long time doing nothing. I water it every few weeks. The water is from either RO water or water from my fish tank...I alternate. It sits on my kitchen table, So no direct sunlight, or indirect really. Just light from my French doors that lead outside...

Then in January, I noticed a new spike! Joy! But it shriveled and died about half way back. Then another new spike! More joy! It too has started to die... what's up with that!?!?!

Also, some roots sprang up in the back, but they shriveled and died too...

This post was edited by juniperbrea on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 15:14

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob8_gw

To me it doesn't seem like you have been giving it enough water. Depending on what medium your phal. is potted in, it should be watered about once a week. Have you checked to see what the roots look like?

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 4:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Greencurls(Z5)

I would agree that a phal growing inside a home should be watered at least once a week (depending on the medium and pot of course). Generally, home heating units make for a pretty dry indoor climate. Lack of humidity can also cause flowers and buds to fall off prematurely.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Orchid IDs?
I got a few orchids within the months from places like...
fuzzballiscute
what other plants can you use kieke power pro on?
I brought this stuff and applied it to one of my orchids...
tlbean2004
Phal yellowing.... bottom two leaves, interior roots, base of crown
I received this phal as a Valentine's Day present,...
kmaxxy
Bent Spike
Hello, I bought a phal that has a bent spike with blooms...
Reed Gee Jr.NY- 7b
Bored with Phals and NOIDs - what next?
I am successfully maintaining a Phal rescue operation...
suzabanana (6b Boston)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™