Vanda SansiaiBlue Hanging On

shirley-z-8-txMarch 7, 2011

My Vanda Sansai Blue is barely hanging on. It had buds but had lost leaves and had a bare brown dead looking stem at the bottom. I cut the stem trying to leave the roots but it lost four more leaves so I cut the stem to green and applied cinnamon, leaving two roots. I then suspended it just above some bark in a pot hoping for humidity and so far so good. don't know if it will make it but the buds have opened and it hasn't lost any more leaves. I thoroughly mist the roots every day.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shirley-z-8-tx

Close Up O Flowers on Sansai Blue.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 3:15PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Vandas are terrific orchids if you have the conditions, but if you don't you will only have heartache. They must have direct sun and heat and plenty of it. Your conservatory looks very nice but I would bet it is too dark and cool a lot of the time. What you can do in Zone 8, however, is hang them out in the garden for 6 months of the year. Don't shade them at all, only bring them in when the night temp drops below 10C 50F.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 7:03PM
Sheila(8b SW Texas)

Nice plant and blooms! I really struggle with trying to successfully grow vandas. Your plant looks very good compared to the few I have. Mine are outdoors now, but will have to come back in for a few nights. I'm hoping they'll grow roots before our extreme heat hits later this summer.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 8:25AM
shirley-z-8-tx

granniek: I have been fearful of putting my vanda outside because I cannot water them as much as I think they would need lt. In fact I think that is why I had the problem with this one. I didn't water it enough. I have been soaking the roots every morning now but it still doesn't seem to be enough because the roots look wrinkled. I am experimenting with growing some in bark. We will see how that goes, but they look good so far. Don't know if there are roots in the bark or if they just like the extra humidity.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
Exchange forum
Is the exchange forum still sponsored on Houzz? If...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
This new format really stinks.
Where are the old posts if you want to look through...
vtandrea
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
stanhopea
I'd like to try growing the stanhopea orchid. do you...
greendale63
First Orchid!
Just bought my first orchid - a den-phal! I had never...
jeffatlanta (7b, Atlanta, GA)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™