Repotting a Miltonia?

gesjenn(z8 WA)March 15, 2008

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a miltonia which has almost finished flowering, and I think it needs a bigger pot. It's in a 3 inch pot now. What kind of potting medium is best?Is the best time to repot right after flowering? It's difficult to tell if its growing new roots yet.

Any advice will be much appreciated! (I usually just grow catts plus a few phals.)

Thank you ahead of time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claire1_2007

Hi Gesjenn,

I just repotted one of my miltonias. It came in a 3 inch pot. It had soo many psbs that it was growing out of the pot. I had to go two pot sizes up to get it to fit but that left the plant overpotted because it didn't have the root ball to fill a 5 inch pot. I ended up having to divide the plant into two. It wasn't an even division so one part was potted into a 4 in pot and the other went back into the 3 inch pot. I used a terrestrial orchid mix - Whitney Farms from Fred Myers. It has a good mix of fir bark, sphag moss and a bit of pumice. Miltonias don't want to dry out so go with a mix that retains water. After blooming is a good time to repot.

Bookmark   March 15, 2008 at 10:39PM
gesjenn(z8 WA)

Hi claire1,
Thank you for the information. I appreciate it!
BTW, do Miltonias still need to be watered regularly right after repotting? (Unlike cattleyas, which need to dry out a bit.)
Thanks again...

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 3:01AM
claire1_2007

I would water it right after the transplant and than continue on with your regular water schedule. Milts don't like to dry out at all so I wouldn't think they would appreciate the stress of a drying out period after the stress of a transplant - especially if you find that you need to divide it.

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 9:12PM
terrestrial_man(9)

I only have a Miltonia cuneata and I repotted it into osmunda! Of course I water it everyday (well almost everyday!). It is growing great and has been in flower since late January (can't remember). I used a net pot too.
It will be interesting to see how well it does.
I do not think these plants like their feet wet but like
to have daily moisture over their roots.

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 9:14PM
gesjenn(z8 WA)

Hi claire and terrestrial,
Thanks so much for the info...I'll be repotting it soon.
gesjenn

Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
V. Kriangkrai yellow
Hi these is the first V. Kriangkrai yellow i have....
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
Is this a spike?
I know what Phal spikes look like, but am new to these......
suzabanana (6b Boston)
This new format really stinks.
Where are the old posts if you want to look through...
vtandrea
Phal skipped bloom this year
My Phalenopsis, which has bloomed regularly each year,...
robtj
Dendrobium in potting moss
I have this two new babies in my collection. I noticed...
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™