red headed ash borers in garden

msalter521May 10, 2011

This is my first year planting a garden and so far i'm proud of how it has grown but I have found several read headed ash borers in my garden as well as ants and other insects and they've started eating the leaves of my plants... i've tried the newspaper and straw as well as dusting the leaves with bleached flour i know i can't get rid of every single bug but what else can i do to rid my garden of insects naturally because these two methods don't seem to be working??? HELP PLEASE

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Doubt it's the red headed ash borers. They specialize on trees.

AS far as "getting rid of" -- you need to ID what's doing the damage.

Any chance of pictures -- of the damage; and of the suspects?

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 11:23PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

There are insects that are pests and there are insects that are beneficial. Of the some 8,000,000 insects identified about 8,000 are considered plant pests and many of the others will eat those pestsa, if allowed to.
Newspaper and leaves are mulches and although they can help deter some of the insect pests the primary reason fo rusing them is to provide an environment that helps plants grow and maybe be able to shrug off attacks by the pests, but they are not meant to be something to fight off insect pests. The mulches can also create a habitat that helps the beneficials exist.
To know what to do to control insect pests that are not controlled by the beneficials means proper identification of the pest so you know what to use to aid in controlling them without also killing off the beneficials.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 11:45AM
MartaG(7)

I would recommend adding some benficial nematodes to your garden as they will kill off most of your garden pests in a natural way. The beneficial nematodes will not harm your crops, they will simply kill off any ants, grubs, leaf miners and most other pests. Photos will help some. If you need more advise send me a PM.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 1:33AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

oops; marta is spammy

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 1:45AM
msalter521

here is a picture of the culprit eating on my corn plant... any help is greatly appreciated

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow organic vegetables in coco coir and are looking...
little sur farm
Caterpillars - removing them the humane way
I have a small organic garden plot in my backyard (which...
kapha
Earth, A new wild
If you have not yet seen this series, there are 4 programs,...
kimmq
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™