Cantaloupe

wings121(8)May 9, 2009

Can anyone tell me to tell the difference in male and female cantaloupe flowers. This is my first garden and I have some contaloupe plants growing and thay are starting to get these small yellow flowers and from what I read they all look like male flowers. Can anyone out there post a photo so i can toll the difference.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poutmouse

I think a female flower will have a cantelope underneath it as the same with squash. The male has no squash- the female does. Where are you that you already have flowers on your cantelope. I haven't even planted anything yet. Its going to be 37 degrees tonight. I'm jealous- your doing okay by me if you've got flowers. Be patient, once the flower has beeen pollinated- you'll get a cantelope. Happy gardening

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 9:38PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

All melons, members of the "Cucurbitaceae" family of plants, will have a fruit, the ovary, behind a female blossom while the male blossom will not have that.

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 6:44AM
anney(Georgia 8)

The link below has a picture of a female cantaloupe blossom which may or may not be pollinated. If not pollinated, the small fruit/blossom will fall off the plant. OTOH, male blossoms are attached by a straight stem to the plant and don't have that small fruit bulge.

Most cucurbits seem to open a bunch of male blossoms before the female blossoms appear, so you may not have any females yet.

Patience is indeed the key. Even the first few female blossoms may not be pollinated until the busy insects find them and go to work. But it will happen sooner or later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Female cantaloupe blossom

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 7:23AM
anney(Georgia 8)

There's apparently no direct link for the individual picture, so if you scroll down about 3/4s of the way down the page at that link, you'll see it.

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 7:29AM
More Discussions
Clear differences between organic and non-organic food, study fin
"Clear differences between organic and non-organic...
henry_kuska
Safeness of gavanized hardware cloth in containers?
I now have 4 Behlen food-grade stock tanks for raised...
catherinet
trustworthy organic fertilizer
Is Espoma truly an organic product company?
Linda Ziegler
What, specifically, is the objection (of many) to Milorganite?
I know there used to be a problem or worry of a problem...
gonebananas_gw
Pesticides on Vegetables and Fruit Linked to Lower Sperm Counts
See: http://www.newsweek.com/pesticides-vegetables-and-fruit-linked-lower-sperm-counts-318164...
henry_kuska
Sponsored Products
Stone, Poppy Red, Cantaloupe, Ivory and Safari Tan Polyester Filled 18 x 18 Pil
$66.00 | Bellacor
Stone, Poppy Red, Cantaloupe, Ivory and Safari Tan Polyester Filled 22 x 22 Pil
$95.40 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™