Cymbidium Division? When?

caedmonMarch 31, 2014

I have a Cym that is going to need to be repotted. It's out of room, and it has been in the pot for two years (at least). When is a good time to repot it? I live in TN. It has started four new growths, but I haven't seen any bloom spikes yet. Last year, it had many more new growths, and I word that it is pot-bound�

Also, while I've seen some instruction on how to do the repot, and what the medium should look like, I'd love some tips on that too.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchidnick

The best time to repot is after it finishes blooming and before it starts growing, right now actually is probably a good time. Leave at least 3 adult pbulbs with each division and when you clean off the bracts around the old bulbs watch out for new growth which is easily dislodged at that time.

Nick

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 4:27PM
caedmon

Thanks! On it this week. I have a miniature Cattleya NOID that needs a repot as well. I suppose I'll hit them both at the same time.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 10:44PM
tolumniamatt

In regards to getting it to bloom - can you tell us the conditions it receives such as water, light? cymbidium.org is a good source of info.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 7:52PM
caedmon

I water it once weekly, by soaking it really well. It sits in a Southwest facing window, which receives moderate light (occasionally bright). We are in a new house this year, and I have until this house been able to have it outside during the summer. Frankly, I'm having to find good spots for all of my plants, and some are responding more favorably than others.

Anyhow, we don't have any protected areas to keep it from getting fried outside, so it might live indoors this year. Last year, it started seven spikes, but only two finished (the others browned and dried up). So, I don't expect blooms from it. It seems happy, not to leggy, and a nice healthy green.

I don't have a regular regimen for fertilizer. (guilty, guilty, guilty)

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 6:30PM
greentoe357

Consider fertilizing every time you water - with a flushing with pure water every month or two. Many people found it more realistic to just fertilize with a weak solution at every watering, so there is no need to stick to (and potentially mess up!) a regimen.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 12:22PM
tolumniamatt

Does it at least get some direct sunlight, even if it is diffused or filtered?

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 7:47PM
More Discussions
My Garden Orcs
Hi I wanted to share the heralding of Spring in the...
aztcqn
Best way to grow vanilla orchid?
My vanilla cutting is starting get long so it's time...
kyrri
Should I cut off this leaf?
This may have started from misting or too much light...
cooperdr_gw
Help with this phal? (pics inside)
Hi, I'm hoping that someone can tell me what's wrong...
nightstars558
Question on dendrobium nobile
Since my den stopped blooming a while ago, I didn't...
vtandrea
Sponsored Products
Large Cymbidium Silk Flower Arrangement - 1199-WH
$189.99 | Hayneedle
Cymbidium Silk Flower Arrangement - 1183-BG
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Silk 31-inch Cymbidium Orchid Flower Arrangement
Overstock.com
Large Cymbidium Silk Flower Arrangement
Overstock.com
Cymbidium Orchid with Vase Silk Flower Arrangement - 1184-BG
$89.99 | Hayneedle