Repot of Clowesetum hybrid

Sheila(8b SW Texas)March 24, 2011

The new growth is almost as tall as last years psb and has lots of roots. I got this from SVO last year. It came to me growing in spag. Do I remove the old spag? Are these roots, what's left of last years & the new growing ones, fussy about being disturbed? Is spag a good medium? I grow a lot of my plants with half spag & half clay pellets to insure good drainage. Other plants I grow totally in the pellets.

I'm hoping this one will bloom this summer and want to keep it happy. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Sheila :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

You've got through the worst. Catas and affiliates are notorious for dying during the winter in "captivity", so well done. They are not fussy about compost. In fact many grow in clumps in poor dirt at the base of trees in open forests rather than in the branches in the dense jungle. Most are from drier parts of the Amazon and Mato Grosso region. I think you could grow them in almost anything - I have had best results in fine, dusty bark - but make sure they are kept very warm and bone dry during winter then soaked in the summer. - Ian.

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 11:44PM
highjack(z6 KY)

Sheila I don't have many of this family but mine don't mind repotting. All of mine are in sphag and tree fern, I soak thoroughly and it pulls off easily. They get repotted yearly so it isn't hard.

Brooke

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 6:33AM
Sheila(8b SW Texas)

Thx guys. SVOs website gives the warnings re the winter season and good guidelines on when to resume water/feed. No specific info on the repotting though.

I had a beautiful plant that I bought in bud many years back and yes, I killed it during it's dormant season. I REALLY want to grow/bloom this one!

Brooke, if your still 'with me'. I'm so happy with the P. stuartiana. The blooms are still so beautiful. I had expected they'd be short-lived, so it's a nice surprise!

Sheila :)

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 7:29AM
highjack(z6 KY)

I thought you would love the stuartiana - it does bloom for a long time.

Brooke

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 7:09AM
More Discussions
First Orchid!
Just bought my first orchid - a den-phal! I had never...
jeffatlanta (7b, Atlanta, GA)
Exchange forum
Is the exchange forum still sponsored on Houzz? If...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
stanhopea
I'd like to try growing the stanhopea orchid. do you...
greendale63
what other plants can you use kieke power pro on?
I brought this stuff and applied it to one of my orchids...
tlbean2004
It is show time!
Show season is in full swing. In my area I have noticed...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™