Help with damaged Brassolaelioc rustic spot cat

little_beeMarch 26, 2010

This Cattleya was doing fine until I re-potted it about two weeks ago. I cleaned out a lot of dead roots. We just went through some very cold weather which probably stressed the plant anyway. I just noticed that there is a brown blister on a leaf and the leaves are turning very purple. I lost a few.

Any suggestions of what that blister is? I attached a link below but will try to post the picture. Thanks

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2010/03/brassolaelioc_rustic_spot_cat.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terpguy(7)

Sun damage. The purple is a sign that the plant is receiving the upper limits of its light tolerance...a sort of suntan. This is a good thing under most circumstances. I encourage this coloring on any plant I have the produces it. The brown blister is where the sun got a little too intense. Its pretty easy to make a mistake with light this time of year. The light is currently getting more and more intense through the windows. If you can reduce the light just a little bit, that will help keep the purple tint but not be strong enough to burn the leaves.

I do suspect this came about as a result of your repotting. When you repot, the resulting stress on the plant is such that the plant can't tolerate its normal amount of light. So for a few weeks after repotting its good to keep it in lower-than-normal light and gradually work the plant back up to the normal light intensity as it gets established. I'll admit I don't do this; I'm impatient and just put my plants back in their regular light. For the most part I don't have any problems but there have been one or two plants that have had this repotting sun damage.

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 7:31PM
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

This orchid needs high light to flower, but when you did the repotting perhaps you should have placed the plant in a more shaded situation so it would recover from disturbance to the roots etc.

Your my-page details just say United States and you do not give growing situation details, but in some places direct sunlight would be too harsh even for this orchid.

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 7:35PM
little_bee

I live in South Florida. The sun hasn't been to strong, especially with that cold we had come thru. It is in a North west corner with morning sun then filtered sun after about 2 - 3 hours. I don't like that brown blister I'm seeing.

Thanks.

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 8:28PM
terpguy(7)

LOL You should see my orchids. Maybe 1/3 of them have some sort of sun damage/blistering; doesn't bother me in the least. I push the upper light limits of all my plants. Really, the blister is just a sunburn. Nothing to worry about; it won't spread and kill your plant. Just ease up on the light slightly and it'll be ok :)

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
How to repot Prosthechea radiata cochleata?
I purchased this plant (with the little shell-like...
meri10
Short spikes? Causes?
I did get quite a few of my Phals to set spikes , but...
dakota01
Bent Spike
Hello, I bought a phal that has a bent spike with blooms...
Reed Gee Jr.NY- 7b
Why are my phal orchid bloom so late in the season?
I have 8-9 pots of phal orchid, they all have flower...
Sara_in_philly
Brassavola "Little stars" vendor
Any suggestions for US vendors? A Google search found...
bea
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™