split cymbidiums

laopiMarch 16, 2011

Hi,

I'll split my cymbidiums this spring, from internet I got, after potting them, I should put them in aheavy shade and cool place, can I put it in basement?

thanks.

peter

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

The answer to the question is that they should be outside as soon as the danger from frosts is over. Ideally, they should be outside all year getting all day sunlight filtered by shade-cloth appropriate to the latitude.... in Canada that might mean no shading at all.

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 10:01PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Absolutely. Good advice, Arthur.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 12:30AM
jamcm(Ottawa Area, Canada)

Hi Peter,

That's often the problem with the internet - the advice you get has to be interpreted. Many sites, for example, will tell you to put all of your orchids in filtered shade, which is perfectly ok... if you're in Florida. Here in Canada, where I once counted only five somewhat sunny days in a December, our plants need as much sun as they can get.

I've always found that the ideal place for a Cymbidium is a very sunny patio door. To sum it up, Cymbidiums like lots of light and during the winter, they like really, really cool nights. When the risk of frost is gone in your area, put it outside in a shady spot and gradually, over a couple of weeks, bring into more light. Think of it as building a base tan. They will eventually be able to tolerate almost full sun (not full middday, but anything else is ok). Leave it outside until just before the first frost in the Fall, then keep it in a very sunny spot where it's also a bit cooler. Windows fit the bill. And be sure to put it right in the window, as light levels drop off dramatically even a foot away from the window and you really do need as much light as you can get.

I've enclosed a Cymbidium culture sheet, which was developed by the Canadian Orchid Congress. It really sums up what you need to do and the advice was written by and for Canadians, though I often think they're good for any indoor growers.

Cheers,

Julie

Here is a link that might be useful: COC - Cymbidium Culture Sheet

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 7:50AM
laopi

thanks everyone, I almost kill my orchid.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
First Orchid!
Just bought my first orchid - a den-phal! I had never...
jeffatlanta (7b, Atlanta, GA)
Exchange forum
Is the exchange forum still sponsored on Houzz? If...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Orchid forum link
Hi Bob, This is the link you sent me. I hope it works. Thank...
tanie51
Habenaria radiata tubers/corms? picture
On the gallery side, I said I would post a picture...
aachenelf z5 Mpls
Where to buy sphagnum moss?
Hi all, Where can I buy this for my orchid? I live...
ninjali
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™