Leaves Splitting

glohmeye(z6 VA)March 29, 2009

I am fairly new to orchids and have had better luck killing them then growing them it seems. I have a phal that just got done blooming and the largest leaf on it seems to be splitting down the center. I am not sure if this is normal or if I am doing something wrong any help would be great. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claire1_2008

I would also be interested in the answer to this question. I've had one phal do the same thing. They split right down the center seam. Both sides of the leaf continue to stay green and healthy.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 11:27PM
jane__ny(9-10)

It happens, don't worry about it. I always figure its a humidity problem but doesn't hurt the plant.

Jane

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 12:05AM
hort_lvr_4life

Increasing the humidity of the Phal. will help. It won't heal the split, but it'll prevent the newer leaves from splitting. I accidentally let one of my Phals go too long without water and the tray below was dry of water too. the newest leaf began to split and ended up growing out that way too. I figured it was the lack of proper humidity, but I read up on it to make sure.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 2:22AM
orchid126(z6, NJ)

In house plants, splitting occurs when the plant has been allowed to go too dry, and then copiously watered. The plant cells can't handle the sudden influx of water. You can mend the leaf to prevent it from splitting further by making a butterfly across it with 1/4" green adhesive florist's tape. The tape is waterproof and will stay on for a very long time. I've had it stay on for as long as two years, until the plant discarded the leaf.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 4:08PM
hort_lvr_4life

Wow! Great method! I'll try it if it happens to one of mine again.

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
This new format really stinks.
Where are the old posts if you want to look through...
vtandrea
How to repot Prosthechea radiata cochleata?
I purchased this plant (with the little shell-like...
meri10
my phalenopsis is dead or almost anythimg I can do
i hah a phal with air roots and regular roots. the...
ekkiemom
Phal yellowing.... bottom two leaves, interior roots, base of crown
I received this phal as a Valentine's Day present,...
kmaxxy
my phalenopsis has a baby orchid on the stem
what do i do? I've never seen this before
ekkiemom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™