Vinegar to kill weeds, a new question I think.

albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)June 16, 2009

Sporadically someone suggests that vinegar can be used to kill weeds and someone explains that it may only kill the plant above ground and the roots will put out a new plant.

We had measurable rainfall in the Western Great Basin. One station reported 0.06 inches [The Western slopes got real rain. Reno reported over an inch.]. So areas of bare desert beside the house have suddenly sprouted thousands of weeds. By the time I arrange transportation to town and buy some vinegar and a sprayer these little buggers will have true leaves and it will be too late. So the question is hypothetical.

Here is the new question, I think. If one sprays the new plant which has just cotyledons with vinegar would it kill the whole plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

What happens when you spray any plant with vinegar is that the leaves the vinegar contacts will die. Whether that will kill the roots depends on the plant and how often the plant gets sprayed. If you keep the plants leaves dead eventually the whole plant will die because there is nothing, no leaves, to manufacture the nutrients the plants roots need to survive. So spraying even a very hardy plant often enough with vinegar will kill the roots too.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 9:35AM
linchat(10b)

I used Vinegar to deal with weeds. At $2 for a 2 gallon jug from a costco, you cannot go wrong. I do not use it for controlling weeds in the landscape so much. Generally I use it where weeds are growing between cracks on pavement, around pool and places like that. Spray the leaves and down into the crack will kill (most of the time) the plant.

I do use it on mulched area's, but usually might have to come back a couple days later. It works though.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 1:03PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

albert, to answer your question about the seedlings: applying vinegar once to a very young seedling will kill the plant. They won't have developed enough of a root system to serve as an energy bank. Thus, no new growth to replace the tiny leaves you've zapped.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Rock salt and asparagus
Someone told me he contols weeds in his asparagus patch...
kept
Use of Horse manure
Good People- I have access to an unlimited supply of...
bspatial5
Papaya Trees
I'm getting ready to plant a few papaya trees in my...
janellelee
organic way to be rid of rain barrel squigglies
I have squigglies in my rain barrels, probably they...
applemum
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™