Hong Kong Orchid Tree

silversalmonApril 12, 2010

I am wondering if anyone on this site has grown a Hong Kong Orchid Tree?

I would like to grow a half dozen of them in Oceanview, Hawaii and would like to know how successful you were.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

The problem with common names is confusion. This tree has nothing to do with orchids. Lots of information in the link. My common name for it is butterfly bush. Sorry, no idea how to grow it except it is probably not frost hardy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hong Kong Orchid Tree

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 1:17AM
cjwatson(Z8 FL)

As Arthur said, not an orchid or even related.

I had a couple big Hong Kong orchid trees back during the years I lived in S. Florida. They were planted all over Miami through the 1900s. No problems with them, no special care, plant and water and they grow into big trees. Frost doesn't bother them since they are usually dormant and leafless during the coldest months.

Unlike other Bauhinia species, the Hong Kong variety is sterile so you don't have seedlings popping up all over your yard.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 8:38AM
Sheila(8b SW Texas)

They grow like weeds for me. I have to use round-up to keep them under control; but then I have the white variety. I should get one of the pinks; I'm told the colored hybrids don't produce viable seed. I wonder if they've possibly hybridized the horrible thorns out of the plants.

They do bloom profusely.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 11:34AM
ron_tacoma

I have one growing in my solarium. It is about 8 feet tall I have it in a big pot. I drag it outside in the summer then about October bring it back inside. In Washington state the winters are not that cold only about 35 to 40. But when you live in the rain forest you have to worry about rot. I have left cymbidiums out side in winter and they always rot out. I was talking to my wife today and I was mentioning I was going to move it on the deck this weekend.

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 9:02PM
julysun

I had several until this winter in Houston. The big freeze killed them all! In Brazil they are called "Cows Foot Tree". -;))

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Short spikes? Causes?
I did get quite a few of my Phals to set spikes , but...
dakota01
Orchid forum link
Hi Bob, This is the link you sent me. I hope it works. Thank...
tanie51
Phal skipped bloom this year
My Phalenopsis, which has bloomed regularly each year,...
robtj
This new format really stinks.
Where are the old posts if you want to look through...
vtandrea
Bent Spike
Hello, I bought a phal that has a bent spike with blooms...
Reed Gee Jr.NY- 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™