when to pick cantaloupes

Marcia29June 25, 2013

Hi,
I'm new to gardening and trying to stay organic. I've planted cantaloupes on a trellis. How do I know when to pick them? Do I need to support them with cloth of some sort or will they be okay until picked? I've included a picture.Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenlen(s/e qld aust)

doesn't look ripe enough for me they have some yellowing and when lightly pulled come away from the stem easily, let it grow the more it matures the better the flavour, hanging like that it will drop off when ready, i would probably make a sling of sort to support it.

could get bigger yet

enjoy i never have much luck growing them but can't stand the taste of shop bought ones.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 4:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Birdie55

Cantaloupe will 'slip' off the stem when it is ripe. When I think a cantaloupe is ripe, I press slightly on the stem and see if it separates from the melon. Sometimes you just find them already slipped and lying on the ground.

I tie my melons to my trellis using strips of old T-shirts that are cut into an H shape. I cut rectangles, and then slit the short ends about 1/3 up. This makes a sling center which you place under the melon and tie the ends to the trellis. If the melon is on the ground, place something (piece of plywood, upside down plate) under the melon to keep it off the ground away from the damp and pests. Good luck, home grown melons are wonderful.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow organic vegetables in coco coir and are looking...
little sur farm
A webinar on no till and mulching
http://www.extension.org/pages/71822/rotational-no-till-and-mulching-systems-for-organic-vegetable-farms-webinar#.VN4ICebF98E...
kimmq
Rock salt and asparagus
Someone told me he contols weeds in his asparagus patch...
kept
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™