Oy.. Can I use Murphy's Oil as part Of Insecticidal Soap

clare2008June 23, 2009

Hi..

I am having quite a "Time" with Aphids this year on my tomatoes. Hate using anything as I am of the mind that when the plant is healthy it will take care of itself. BUT, this year the aphids are out of control.

I have used various insecticidal soaps in the past and was wondering if anyone has ever used Murphy's Oil Soap as part of their recipe?

And, if so what is a good ratio of soap to water. Should I wash off the mixture after it has been on the leaves for a period of time?

Does it have much "phyto toxicity"?

Does it burn plants?

Hopefully it'll take care of the aphids..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dan Staley

Dish soap is cheaper. There are literally scores of threads on this site with recipes & instructions.

Dan

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 1:42PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

In a 1 quart spritzer bottle, mix:
1 pint very hot water
1 teaspoon neem oil (cold-pressed or virgin oil only - Dyna-Gro packages a very good product)
2-4 drops Murphy's oil soap
Shake well and add 1 pint of 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.
Spritz

Shake frequently while spritzing. Be sure to cover the entire plant. Don't spray in full sun. A little more Murphy's is ok, but unnecessary if using the isopropyl. Repeat at 1-2 week intervals as needed.

Al

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 4:20PM
clare2008

Thanks for the tips re the threads and the recipes.. I will go over the various threads again.
I couldn't find one with someone's experience of using Murphy's Oil..
I have been told that it is important to use "soaps" that are detergent free and have some "fat" base to them as this is part of what kills the bugs..
I thought "Murphy's!!" as this is what is in the closet..
Any more tips are welcome and I will keep searching..

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 8:32PM
maps31(5 salt lake city, UT)

I gave up and ordered ladybugs

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 3:39AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The simplest, quickest, easiest way to get rid of Aphids is a sharp stream of water to knock the wee buggers off the plant. A hand held spray bottle does work really well for this because your garden hose pressure could wreak havoc to the plant.
If an Insectidical Soap is desired, and it is not really as effective as simply knocking the buggers off the plant, you need a real soap and none of the "dish soaps" are soaps. The "dish soaps" are detergents which can cause serious harm to plants. Murphy's Oil Soap is a real soap and can be used just as an of the other real soaps. Mix 1 teaspoon of that soap in 1 quart of water. More often than not when spraying the IS on Aphids you knock the wee buggers off the plant anyway so adding the soap to the water is not all that more effective. Spaying with the IS after you clean that generation of Aphids off the plant may help control the future generations that will be moving in.
The best, most effective means of control of Aphids is to be sure the soil your plants are growing in is a good, healthy soil that will grow strong and healthy plants that will be less attractive to insect pests such as Aphids.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 7:24AM
More Discussions
Rock salt and asparagus
Someone told me he contols weeds in his asparagus patch...
kept
Has anyone tried this method to repel cabbage moths in their garden?
I came across this post on reddit the other day and...
tripleione
Companion Planting Newbie Needs Help
Hi everyone! This is my first post here and I'm needing...
flutterby64
Soil Test - Help
Hi First Post! I cleared a piece of land last fall...
conda71
Sponsored Products
4" Recessed 9 Watt LED Retrofit Light
$19.95 | Lamps Plus
Folding Table
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
Taupe stone washed linen table runner
Origin Crafts
Oushak Neutrals Rug 4' x 6' - IVORY
$1,099.00 | Horchow
Zesty Ride
$23.99 | Dot & Bo
Mini Star Chrome Two-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Sapphire Blue Crystal and
$300.00 | Bellacor
Designer Drains Designer Drains - Classic Motif No.6 Oatey Drain Rough
Hudson Reed
Designed Flora Linen Shade Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™