Why are all my Pumpkin flowers Male?

aidenJune 20, 2007

Hello, I have three Pumpkin vines growing at the moment and there all about 6-7 foot long and have plenty of leaves and buds, but they all seem to be male ive only come across 1 female thats in early stages of growth, is there any reason for this? is it the weather? or just a bad batch of seeds i planted or could it be down to something im doing wrong? or is there anything i could do to promote groth of female buds?

help apreciated

thanx

Aiden

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justaguy2(5)

it's normal

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 3:54PM
pablo_nh(z4/5 NH)

Agree with justaguy- my punkins usually send out lots of male flowers before the female flowers start. I dunno why this is, but maybe it's to get the polinating insects to find the plant before it invests the extra energy into making female flowers.

Some squashes are the opposite, from what I've read in forums, but I haven't seen it.

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 5:00PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

All members of the cucurbit family start with male blossoms, but the geneticists have developed cultivars of many of these that only produce male, or female, blossoms. However if you have seen at least one female blossom that may well mean that others will follow soon.

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 6:44AM
gardenlen(s/e qld aust)

yep aiden,

pretty normal happening, and you will go through periods of all female flowers and no male flowers for pollination. to ensure good crop if pollinators are scarce do some hand pollinating.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: len's garden page

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 3:42PM
pablo_nh(z4/5 NH)

Ya- pick a male flower that's opened, pull the petals off, and "do the deed" with the female flowers. A little Barry White and a few drops of red wine in the watering can help things along.

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 4:00PM
pumpkinflower

I understand that the male flowers show up first, but it's August now and I STILL don't have any female flowers. Any ideas why this would be?

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
(un)Covering a Cover Crop?
I have a couple raised beds. Last fall, I planted a...
bassopotamus
Organic Plant Surfactant
I'm currently trying to decide on a surfactant to use...
knowboddy
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
Flowers and neonictinoids
I am in the Burbank California area. I have a small...
ltlredwagon
Caterpillars - removing them the humane way
I have a small organic garden plot in my backyard (which...
kapha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™