new tool in my arsenal
A week or so ago, I figured out that the reason my miltoniopsis was having so much trouble was that its pot was standing in water and its medium was decomposing. So I cut away the rotting areas, threw away the old medium, threading through the roots with a fork to remove any of the old stuff, and repotted. I also applied (and this is kind of weird and gross) nail fungus cream. Yes, nail fungus cream, to the roots closest to the rot. And it worked! The psuedobulbs are harder and the leaves look great.
I also used the nail fungus cream on a cattleya that I accidentally overwatered. I noticed that its above ground roots had fuzzies on them, so I pasted on some cream overnight. It killed the fungus and the catt seems to be very happy. In fact, it started new growth this week, so I'm happy as well! Yay!