new tool in my arsenal

newbiehavinfun(7a - Southern NJ)April 24, 2010

A week or so ago, I figured out that the reason my miltoniopsis was having so much trouble was that its pot was standing in water and its medium was decomposing. So I cut away the rotting areas, threw away the old medium, threading through the roots with a fork to remove any of the old stuff, and repotted. I also applied (and this is kind of weird and gross) nail fungus cream. Yes, nail fungus cream, to the roots closest to the rot. And it worked! The psuedobulbs are harder and the leaves look great.

I also used the nail fungus cream on a cattleya that I accidentally overwatered. I noticed that its above ground roots had fuzzies on them, so I pasted on some cream overnight. It killed the fungus and the catt seems to be very happy. In fact, it started new growth this week, so I'm happy as well! Yay!

Megan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gesjenn(z8 WA)

Interesting, will have to remeber that if my orchids have fungal problems, LOL..

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 3:55PM
orchid126(z6, NJ)

You might not want to LOL about fungus problems, gesjenn, you can get them in a heartbeat.

Megan, thanks for the tip! Indeed, a new weapon in the arsenal.

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 4:02PM
dragon_kite(z6 NYC)

This reminds me of the time I got ringworm from rescuing some kittens a few years back. I went to my local CVS for a tube of yeast infection cream ...the whole time I was trying to convince the sales person that the cream was for ringworm, not a yeast infection.

Looks like now I can try convincing them that the cream is for my orchid, LOL.

Thanx for the tip Megan! Extra points for being resourceful and creative!

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
Orchid forum link
Hi Bob, This is the link you sent me. I hope it works. Thank...
tanie51
Phal skipped bloom this year
My Phalenopsis, which has bloomed regularly each year,...
robtj
stanhopea
I'd like to try growing the stanhopea orchid. do you...
greendale63
Orchids, please help
Need help for my lost Orchid food. I used "Safer,...
woofcar
my phalenopsis has a baby orchid on the stem
what do i do? I've never seen this before
ekkiemom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™