Wrinkled leaves and flowers, buds yellowing

summer005April 18, 2010

I am new to orchids...I had my very first one two years ago and the florist said to water w 3 ice cubes once a week. It eventually looked like it died but I couldn't bear to through it away. I left it outside and two years later it started to bloom. However the leaves had turned yellow and wrinkled. This had inspired me to get a bunch more. I live in Miami and they are in an eastern facing window that gets a lot of morning sunlight. I have them out of direct sun on the side of the large window. I water them every 7-10 days with the water running out of the bottom before I put them back in there spot. I noticed they were getting wrinkled on the flowers themselves so put some fertilizer for orchids in their water. The flowers still appear to be wrinkled and now one of the plants leaves are becoming wrinkled. I also noticed buds turning yellow and falling off. Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julysun

Welcome!
I suggest you read "Ask The Experts " above. Otherwise you will need to give the name of your orchids so posters can offer specific advise. Three ice cubes won't cut it. Two years? you need to re-pot unless they are in inorganic media. Orchids are fun to have but they have specific needs related to type. So post some names or types and folk here will/can help. Hey, a few photos will help! You can Google "Orchid Re-potting" and find a ton of show-and-tell sites.
Keep us posted!
Julysun
Julysun

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 1:47PM
summer005

Oh---forgot to post the name they are Phalaenopsis orchids. I did re-pot the older one a couple days ago and cut off all the dead roots so hoping it will help.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 11:50PM
dragon_kite(z6 NYC)

Phals are warm growing so I'm not sure why your florist would recommend the ice cube water every week...maybe to get it to flower, but it still doesn't explain why you need to be doing it year round.

I want to help but I need more info:

What medium and type of pot is the phal growing in?
What kind of fertilizer do you use, what are its N-P-Ks, and how much and how often do you apply?
Are there white crusts along the top of the medium and pot?

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 8:28PM
More Discussions
Dog tumor?
Is there a reason the post below about a dog's tumor...
bea
My phal's aerial roots appear shriveled at tips ?
Regarding aerial roots on my phal's: the tips of the...
Storm 7a
My Garden Orcs
Hi I wanted to share the heralding of Spring in the...
aztcqn
Should I cut off this leaf?
This may have started from misting or too much light...
cooperdr_gw
Using left over botted water for orcid?
If you had a leftover bottle of water that you hadnt...
Katie Parker
Sponsored Products
John Richard French Creamware Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Ivy Vase
$12.99 | zulily
Round Flower 13-inch Decorative Throw Pillow
Overstock.com
Fat Cat Wall Plaque - 717
$28.99 | Hayneedle
No. 1 Vase
$24.99 | Dot & Bo