Encyclia polybulbon?

quinnfyre(z7 PA)April 1, 2010

What can you tell me about Encyclia polybulbon? I got one, mounted, from Oak Hill over the weekend, as I really admired one I saw at an orchid show last year. Do the 'bulbs' stick around, or do they die out as the plant grows new ones? Does it have a time of year where it likes to grow more than others, and a more dormant period? Do the bulbs stay plump when properly watered, or does it wrinkle eventually like oncidium types tend to? I've been focusing more on the Angraecoids and Pleurothallids, so I don't know too much about how these behave. It is currently in a south window that is covered only with a sheer mesh curtain, maybe about 5 inches from the glass. I've been watering it when it the mount dries out a bit; it is mounted on a wood plaque with sphag.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Just for kicks, here's a pic that I took of it today:

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 5:43PM
stitzelweller(Md)

quinnfyre, Your Encyclia polybulbon (syn Dinema polybulbon) is grown similar to Cattleya. I have a small potted one which flowered recently. I may choose to mount mine, soon. It seems to do better when grown that way. It's a popular plant around here.

I find it a difficult plant to kill. Others disagree. Don't even think about growing it like an Oncidium.

Your foto shows a blooming size plant. It's a delightful li'l orchid with BIG flowers relative to the plant's small size!

Please, note the link provided below.

--Stitz--

Here is a link that might be useful: Encyclia polybulbon

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 8:53AM
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Thanks for the info. I'm delighted that you say mine is blooming size. That means if all goes well, it should bloom for me! So by saying it is grown like a Cattleya, you mean it needs Cattleya light? I hope I have enough. It is in a south window. Well, we shall see, I guess.

This is what got me interested in it in the first place. These were taken at an orchid show last year:

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 12:59AM
epiphyte78(9)

Here's a photo of one that I took at a recent show...

Mine does fine with Cattleya light but it's growing on moss which most of my Cattleyas wouldn't be happy about.

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 12:58PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

I've had mine for 4-5 years I think, but it doesn't seem to appreciate the really high light levels. It's mounted on cork, gets a partially shaded area outside in the summer and an east window in the winter with a little bit extra CFL light. Seems happy enough, is crawling on both sides of the mount and bloomed sometime during the winter.

I agree with all the above, don't even attempt to grow this one in a pot. Mine came potted and didn't do anything until I mounted it.

Kevin

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 4:52PM
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

Yes, the ones i've seen over the years have either been on a mount or "potted" in a very shallow tray. A well grown and flowered plant is a delight.

Dinema polybulbon might be the current name.

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Grammatohyllum speciosum potting medium
So I have this G. speciosum devision. I currently have...
Matt G
In bloom 27 months and counting...
Dendrobium Hialeah twist. (Spiker x canaliculatum)...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Orchid help
This is my first orchid and I am doing something wrong....
Katie Moore
What's wrong with my Oncidium Howard's Dream?
So I divided and repotted this Onc. about a month ago....
chidali83
Dend potting medium
I was given 2 hard cane dends packed tightly together...
bea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™