Human Hair

joanie_pomseed(8)June 30, 2011

Is it one of those animal products that require special care or an extended process to compost, or can I just toss it in the pile like table scraps? I don't imagine there would be any harm in that; I mean, a lot of people here compost bird feathers without any extra trouble, right?

Can hair be cold-composted? I've seen videos of insects eating it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Hair is keratin, a protein, and could be a good addition to a compost pile. Just because of the extras I would not use hair from a source where it has beed bleached, dyed, and sprayed with hair spray.
When I did compost human hair I tryed to be sure not too much was added at any one time and mixed what I did add in well. I never saw anthing to indicate hair was harder for the bacteria in a compost pile to digest then anything else.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 6:42AM
SoTX(8b/9a)

Hair is high in nitrogen and that includes animal hair. With four big dogs, I have plenty of dog hair and I use it.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 5:44AM
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

I have heard that hair can be composted, but I collected some angora rabbit manure with their hair in it a couple of years ago, and I'm still finding the hair in the compost and the soil.

OMG! Maybe it's GROWING in there!

Sue

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 2:54AM
More Discussions
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow organic vegetables in coco coir and are looking...
little sur farm
Papaya Trees
I'm getting ready to plant a few papaya trees in my...
janellelee
(un)Covering a Cover Crop?
I have a couple raised beds. Last fall, I planted a...
bassopotamus
Got tomatoes?
The organic Earthbox tomatoes have been coming in nicely...
MrClint
Herbicide resistance
This may be of interest to some here, too. Here is...
Kimmsr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™