epidendrum not blooming..

woollady(z8 CA)April 29, 2014

hello everyone,i have a very large ,about 3ft tall epidendrum.it has not bloomed in the last 2 years.i want to put it outdoors so it can get more light.just how much light does it need?would a west facing arbor with lattice on top be good enough or is that too much dappled light or not enough?should i put in on the east of the house with full sun until about 1pm?any ideas or help would be fantastic!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b

In general, most orchids like morning sun. Many variables enter in to the equation. Like the nature of the potting material, the kind of pot it is in, frequency of water, is there air flow? The temperature. The fertilizers and frequencies.

A very big issue is does that orchid do well where you live? The answer lies with the locals.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 4:41PM
terpguy(7)

SM is right. Z8 west should be fine. Here Z7 my cattleyas (which generally speaking like the same amount of light as Epis) get unobstructed west sun outside from about 4 til sunset during the summer. So dappled west is fine.

Do you have a name for this Epidendrum? Or know what type it is (reed stem/other)?

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 5:49PM
woollady(z8 CA)

hi shavedmonkey,my brother has one too that has not bloomed.i live in foothills above sacramento ca.gets very hot in summer,90s with some hundreds in july and august.also low humidity,around 30%.it sits in medium fir bark,in summer usually water every day or every other day when in 90s etc.i fertilize in summer every 2 weekswith Grow More orchid food.the epis do well in sacramento,but where i live even in summer the temps can go down to 40s and 50s.always have to bring in around oct.thank you for replying.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 5:50PM
tolumniamatt

I agree with placing the epi on the west side of your home. Regarding your watering and fertilizing regimen - watering every day in summer with 90+ temperatures are fine but fertilizing only once every two weeks is like you eating once every two weeks and jogging the other days. A once every two week feeding would get flushed out with daily watering. I would fertilize with a more diluted amount about twice a week. With cooler nights - make sure you are watering in the morning so any water droplets have a chance to dry before bacteria can grow.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 7:48PM
jane__ny(9-10)

I grow mine in full Florida sun - SE until about 2pm, then they get shaded by the house, and they are blooming now. I start feeding them in early spring and keep them well watered. I think you could go full, East sun.

They like strong light.

Jane

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 10:16PM
jane__ny(9-10)

I just wanted to add, they grow like weeds in Florida. People grow them in the ground in full, all day sun and they bloom forever. I wouldn't worry about too much sun, just be careful, acclimating them slowly.

Jane

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 10:19PM
woollady(z8 CA)

thank you tolumniamat for the good advice will do as you suggest.

terpguy-it is a very large reed stem epi,when it bloomed it had orange flowers.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 10:19PM
terpguy(7)

People always mention that, Jane. Unfortunately I haven't seen it yet, which is shocking to me considering how many people do it. How large are they getting? I've heard people describe them as hedges once or twice.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 11:10PM
jbw1984

i have a grocery store reed-stem epidendrum growing in full south facing sun with minimal shifting shade (from the balcony banister) and it is growing like a weed. it took it a couple of weeks to get used to this light, though--it would probably have done a little better if i had gradually let it get used to the bright light. i have it potted pretty densely in a mixture of NZ sphag and medium bark, so that it doesn't dry out too quickly. (it needed an emergency repotting when i first got it because it came in a pot with no drainage--seriously).

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 12:02AM
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b

I think your epi is a duck out of water. My guess is your weather is too extreme for the plant to be robust. But, as diverse as orchids are it is likely that there are orchids that thrive there. I bet there is a local orchid society and they would know.
I live in an environment that many orchids like. But bring me one that likes mountain nights, it won't bloom. It will grow maybe. It might at your house...

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 12:37AM
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

Similar comments here, they are garden plants. people plant them in soil in full sun. Temperature tolerant down to about 2C.
Orchidnick observed that perhaps the modern hybrids might be a little bit more touchy. I have them in a shade-house, all day sun filtered by shade-cloth.
300 sunny days on average spread through the year.
Too much shade and fertiliser and you get lots of leggy growth and few flowers.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 1:20AM
woollady(z8 CA)

hi to all of you to responded,i appreciate all the info and ideas about what might work.thank you!

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 6:38PM
More Discussions
My Garden Orcs
Hi I wanted to share the heralding of Spring in the...
aztcqn
Is bud blast of big-box store Phalaenopsis genetic?
I have Phals since grade six. In the last three years,...
jujujojo_gw
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
First Orchid!
Just bought my first orchid - a den-phal! I had never...
jeffatlanta (7b, Atlanta, GA)
stanhopea
I'd like to try growing the stanhopea orchid. do you...
greendale63
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™