killing weeds in black trash bags

lisahlooJune 1, 2009

Hi,

I pulled a bunch of weeds and wasn't very careful when I did and threw in a bunch of a plant that I'm trying to get rid of, but which seems to re-root and grow from any little bit, anywhere. I'd like to save the lot and use it in my own compost, but my pile doesn't get hot (too lazy, I guess) and I don't want to deal with it growing anywhere other than where it is already.

I took the bunch of them and tossed them in a large black trash bag hoping that the heat generated inside when the sun hit it would be enough to kill the plants. Think that;ll do it, or do I need to take a more careful approach (or put the whole lot in the city compost and be more careful next time LOL)?

Another thought I had was spraying everything with vinegar, but it might take a lot of vinegar and be more labor intensive than I'd like....

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Most "weeds", and their seeds, are not killed by the heat of a compost pile but simply because the compost pile keeps those plant from getting access to the sunlight they need to grow, provided those plants are buried in the compost not just thrown on top. Sometimes those plastic bags work but other times they only provide a really good place for those plants to grow.

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 9:13PM
lisahloo

so, if it seems like sunlight is the primary issue (which it really may be in this case, as this is a plant people actually pay for -- I can't think of the name, its a succulent that I've seen in plant catalogs -- its just hard for me to get rid of), then perhaps just making this a bottom layer of a lasagna garden bed might even be ok?

That's the other problem with my pile -- its hopefully not going to be a big ol pile much longer, but part of a lasagna garden bed....

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 9:31PM
nothwehr

I did something similar as the poster of this thread - threw chunks of sod riddled with Wild Violet into black trash bags thinking that after a few weeks they would be dead and I could re-claim the soil. This material has been laying in closed (thought not tightly sealed trash bags)since March. When I open them up and dig through the sod I still see viable Wild Violet shoots though everything else is dead. We haven't had many hot days yet though. Because these trash bags are kind of an eyesore I wonder if there is anything I can do to speed the destruction of these plants/weeds. I would like to save the soil they are in - otherwise I would discard it somewhere out in the woods. Would it be faster to move the bags inside of my garage with dim light? I guess the question is whether plants die faster due to excess heat (but some minimal light penetrating the bag) or due to a lack of light (but less heat). Thanks for any suggestions.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
What, specifically, is the objection (of many) to Milorganite?
I know there used to be a problem or worry of a problem...
gonebananas_gw
This article may be of interest to some here
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/why-your-garden-needs-fertilizer--or-not/2015/02/10/153eb5b8-ad6e-11e4-ad71-7b9eba0f87d6_story.html kimmq...
kimmq
(un)Covering a Cover Crop?
I have a couple raised beds. Last fall, I planted a...
bassopotamus
A webinar on no till and mulching
http://www.extension.org/pages/71822/rotational-no-till-and-mulching-systems-for-organic-vegetable-farms-webinar#.VN4ICebF98E...
kimmq
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™