Best orchid for a hanging wood slat basket?

alielizaApril 26, 2008

I obtained two wood slat hanging baskets from my father, one of which currently has spanish moss in it.

The baskets are like the ones seen in this picture:

I'd love to put an orchid in the bigger one, and Im sure that I've seen them in baskets before.

What is the best kind of orchid for a hanging basket of that nature?

Vanda?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cbarry(indoors)

The best kind of orchd for you to put in a slat basket is the best kind of orchid that you can grow!

Joking aside, I have orchids in pots that are set in the slat baskets for hanging purposes, so in that respect, the answer is any orchid!

So please tell us more about where you would like to hang this basket (inside, outside, west sun, north sun, etc.) and we'll be happy to recommend an orchid perfectly suited to your basket.

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 5:04PM
wetfeet101b(z9 Riverside - So Cal- USA)

Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums, Oncidiums, Phalaenopsis, the list goes on and on for orchids that can be successfully grown in slat baskets.

But just like any other container, the basket is just a portion of the growing equation. Your local microclimate, your plant care habits and preferences will also dictate if any specific plant will grow well in the basket.

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 6:01PM
silkymoon

95% of all of my orchids are in boxes good ventilation they see to like it!
Maria

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 6:07PM
alieliza

Thanks guys.

I would like to grow the orchid indoors, though I am not opposed to putting it outdoors for the summer, as that is what I do with my current phals, though I have not been able to get any of them to bloom... if they were blooming I would probably keep them indoors (unless, of course, i were having guests over for an outdoor celebration of sorts, then it would *have* to be decorative outside :) ).

Im not sure what direction the window faces. Sorry!

I was just under the impression that some were better for hanging baskets, depending, say, on the kind of growing medium they needed.

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 6:58PM
cbarry(indoors)

You said "I was just under the impression that some were better for hanging baskets, depending, say, on the kind of growing medium they needed."

And you're partially right, some are better for hanging baskets.

But, for example, I had a vanda that is perfect for a slat basket in FL, would die that way here in NY in my care. My vanilla, on the other hand is in a clay pot (in media) that is stuck in a slat basket so that I can hang it. It must be at least 25 ft now wound around and around a trellis I have for it.

Would a vanilla realistically live in a slat basket on it's own? Not here! But potted, in a basket, happy as a pig in (you know what)!

So, What kind of orchid would you like to grow? You really can hang it in the basket in an appropriate location.

Carolyn

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 10:49PM
richardol(Santa Royale CA)

If I were to make a generalization about being suitable for growing in a basket (dangerous I know) I would base it on root size. A thick rooted orchid will do better than a thin rooted orchid.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
Dend potting medium
I was given 2 hard cane dends packed tightly together...
bea
The Office "Cursed Orchid"
At my old job that I left about two weeks ago, my boss...
Nicole
Question on dendrobium nobile
Since my den stopped blooming a while ago, I didn't...
vtandrea
In bloom 27 months and counting...
Dendrobium Hialeah twist. (Spiker x canaliculatum)...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Orchid ID Please...
A friend gave this to me last summer (no blooms) and...
puglvr1
Sponsored Products
David Trubridge Design | Koura Pendant - Paint
$600.00 | YLighting
Majestic Collection Crystal 12" Wide Ceiling Light Fixture
Lamps Plus
Serena & Lily Mercado Baskets
Serena & Lily
Girotondo Fruit Basket by Alessi
$67.00 | Lumens
Wire Storage Basket Set
$121.99 | zulily