Where can I get 20% vinegar?

prairiemoon2 z6 MAJune 6, 2006

Hi,

I have a poison ivy problem that I would like to try the vinegar solution on. Where can I get that strong vinegar that I have heard people talking about?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squeeze(z8 BC)

might be hard to find nowadays - I think they put some controls on it - ask at garden supply places [not the big box kind]

Bill

Bookmark   June 6, 2006 at 11:25PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Hi Bill..

I am surprised I haven't gotten more responses. I think I have read a few posts on the forum where this substance is recommended for a number of things. Did I get it wrong? Maybe 20% is wrong. Is there anything readily available that is stronger than what you get at the supermarket?

Thanks..
:-)

Bookmark   June 9, 2006 at 7:49PM
JAYK(8b)

You could try contacting Bradfield. http://www.bradfieldind.com/

I would counsel reading this article first.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinegar article

Bookmark   June 10, 2006 at 1:47AM
squeeze(z8 BC)

the only vinegar commonly available is 5-6% acetic acid, which is what is legal for food products - there is a 20% vinegar produced that is commonly called agricultural vinegar, but due to chemical regulations it's only legal most places if it's licensed as an herbicide - if it's available in your area you'll only find it at a nursery that carries a range of farm and garden chems

Bill

Bookmark   June 10, 2006 at 10:49AM
ghoghunter

I saw a company called Maestro Grow that used to carry it. You could try calling them. Here is the link.There is a way to make an "organic" type of "roundup" solution. It is 1 gallon of 20% vinegar 2 ounces orange oil and a few drops of liquid dish soap. The 20% vinegar is available from a company in Texas called Maestro-Gro. You mix the ingredients together and spray just like you would with roundup except it is totally organic. The orange oil is the food grade type and is also available from the site or I imagine you could buy a much smaller quantity from a craft store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maestro Grow

Bookmark   June 11, 2006 at 9:16AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

A froogle.google search for 20% acetic acid gives about 260 ghits. Many are glacial acetic acid which is 100% and can be safely diluted by anyone with a modicum of high school chemistry laboratory experience. But, there are several places at froogle.google which sell the 20% stuff.

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 2:12PM
christiemoreen(z8 Seattle)

I bought 30% acetic acid vinegar from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply, www.groworganic.com. It's $9.95 for 1 gallon. I diluted to 15% before using it.

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 4:34PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Thank you all for the great help in locating this product and for all the links with information about it. I appreciate it.

:-)

Bookmark   June 16, 2006 at 6:03PM
rosebush(z7 NC)

Does it really work on poison ivy??? Please let me know as I'm sitting here itching while typing. The stuff looks like a cover crop in the shady part of my garden path, and I've tried salt water, alcohol, and regular vinegar on it. Nothing works.

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 9:37PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

jayk,

Thanks for the link to that very helpful article on the 20% strength vinegar. I was unaware of the serious harm it could do when applying it if you are not careful. I was glad to be made aware of it.

Haven't tried the vinegar yet, but still might. If so, will post again with the results.

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 1:52PM
unionmaid(5)

10% and 20% vinegar, also known as horticultural vinegar, is available at Marshall Grain Co. (http://www.marshallgrain.com) and Garden Ville (http://www.garden-ville.com/).

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 2:58PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Since this surfaced I'm wondering how I missed it 2 years ago. All those sources carry it, so that's good info.

Poison ivy is best killed with goats. Vinegar will take off the leaves but not the roots. Eventually if you keep after it, you can kill it. Even goats can't kill it quickly.

20% vinegar will blind you if it gets into your eyes, so be very careful not to splash it or wipe it into your eyes.

Glacial acetic acid at 100% is about the most dangerous thing you can get in the open market. Most homeowners don't have the gloves, apron, goggles, breathing apparatus or exhaust ductwork, and face shield needed to work with it.

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 9:56PM
slacker

you can cook down the 5 - 6 % vinager yourself. It is mostly water, if you boil or freeze ( it works both ways ) you can take the water out and be left with a higher concentration.

The water in a gallon of vinager will boil away first or freeze first, the freezing is easiest. I pour a gallon of vineger into a picture, and check it every two hours, as the water begins to freeze just scoop it out.

Just what i have learned since going organic, works at killing dandilions, if you get them when they are young plants

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 9:19AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

If you raise your mower's deck height you don't have to have dandelions at all. Tall grass pretty much prevents dandelions for free.

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 12:40AM
aprillee0422_gmail_com

online at Amazon.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 3:23PM
carlabarokas_hotmail_com

Does anyone know the best way to apply the vinegar to my yard? I want to get rid of the clover (the flowers attract bees!) It's all over so it's too much for spot application.

I don't want to kill the lawn, but my number one concern is that it is still safe for the kids to roll around in the lawn!

What about one of those Miracle Grow containers that attach to your hose? Would that dilute it too much to be effective? Can I use household vinegar?

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 2:30PM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

Vinegar will kill the tops of everything that gets sprayed - grass, clover, expensive perennials. The agricultural strength vinegar works faster, but the household vinegar will work. But you'll have no more lawn, either. If your clover is perennial, and I assume it is,it will grow back; the vinegar only kills the top growth, not the root. If you want to get rid of the clover, you will have to find another way. Sorry.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 6:20PM
burdickstokstad_yahoo_com

I live in a large agricultural county and spent much time calling, as well as walk-in to nurseries, farm stores, ag supplies, etc... finally had to order my 20% vinegar on-line, do the wait, wait, and then when it did arrive and I mixed with orange oil and dish soap, filled my sprayer with the one gallon of vinegar and it was GONE within 20 mins! I'm really bummed at the expense and time involved in going organic, and yet, I am committed to learning more in order to keep my new little orchard of 90 trees as healthy as possible. I was originally referred to this "recipe" in order to control star thistle -- we'll see in a couple of weeks. Any further ideas will gladly be taken into consideration :)

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 6:03PM
MarkJ1234

I found 20% vinegar on this web site but it seemed a little high in price, but they did have a neat tool for wiping the vinegar onto stuff you want to kill. Sure beats overspray. I think I might order one. www.redweeder.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Redweeder

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 3:02PM
clovers1970

I got mine at a website called organic gardening shop. This stuff is hard to find locally. It just says 20% vinegar on the website but they shipped a brand called Nature's Wisdom. It worked for me. I have a problem with thistle, so I just chop the tops off and put a little in the hole. Kills them quick in the heat. Here is the link. http://www.organic-gardening-shop.com/Agorganics/Product_Details.aspx?ProductID=574&ProductName=20%%20Vinegar

Here is a link that might be useful: 20% Vinegar Organic Gardening Shop

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 4:00PM
dogwind(Z8a TX)

I've purchased 20% this year at Lowes on Preston and 190 in Plano, TX

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 10:06PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Google>shopping>"20% vinegar" turned up several places. If you are set up Google may find some in your area. Sorry, I don't know how to do the set-up. I get my area somehow but don't know how it happened.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 1:39PM
blakrab Centex(8a)

Hmm, so looks like Garden-Ville is the cheapest vendor online at $11.99 for 1 gallon.

I mean, you could dilute 100% acetic acid yourself for much cheaper, but that sounds rather dangerous...
https://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=FGacet

Here is a link that might be useful: 20% Vinegar

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 4:37PM
emmers_m(9a/Sunset 7 N Cal)

By the time you factor in shipping, most vendors are up to $20/gallon. (Couldn't find out at Garden-Ville as I didn't want to create an account, but at Maestro-Grow etc.)

Is one application of 20% more effective than 10 applications of 5% (to justify the cost)?

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 8:50AM
lazy_gardens

I mean, you could dilute 100% acetic acid yourself for much cheaper, but that sounds rather dangerous...

Speaking in my "chemist with HAZMAT training" role ... that stuff is NASTY.

We used glacial acetic acid in a hospital lab I worked with ... you need a full fume hood or a self-contained hazmat hood while making dilutions, and full-up splash protection gear. We were happy to see the test that required it go away.

One of the just-delivered containers was leaking in the hallway of the lab ... we could smell it when we walked out of the elevator 3 closed doors and 60 feet away. So we grabbed the decontamination kits, suited up and cleaned it up, rescuing the rest of the delivery if we could.

As expected, any paper it touched was crumbling away, but when we got to the bottom we found that IT ATE THROUGH THE VINYL TILE AND WAS WORKING ON THE CONCRETE!

==========
Vinegar, if strong enough, quickly knocks down the vegetative growth. For tender seedlings, that's usually enough to kill the plant.

For other plants, they just come back from the roots.

I tested the common Pinterest recipe here: http://lazygardens.blogspot.com/2013/04/smackdown-vinegar-vs-glyphosate-for.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinegar VS Glyphosate

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 10:30AM
bolob

Hi, If you have any frien in Hungary, might be you can ask him/her to send it to you from there. It cost around 0.65 USD.
https://www.groby.hu/termekek/elelmiszer/21731-real_etkezesi_ecet_20__-os_1_l.html

Here is a link that might be useful: 20% vinegar

Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
Paper Wasp Deterrent
I've searched the forum and found lots of help for...
JudyCl
Companion Planting Newbie Needs Help
Hi everyone! This is my first post here and I'm needing...
flutterby64
Food Taste
Sr Albert Howard is discussing on this and the following...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Why are my plants dying?
This is my first ever garden. It's a container garden. I...
swiss_chard_fanatic
Got tomatoes?
The organic Earthbox tomatoes have been coming in nicely...
MrClint
Sponsored Products
A-Betta Endurance Saddle - 205105BK
$387.45 | Hayneedle
Voluspa Gardenia Colonia 2-Wick Metallo Candle
$19.50 | FRONTGATE
Walnut Wood Veneer Drum Pendant with 20 x 9 Shade
$333.50 | Bellacor
Pale Desert 18x18-Inch Square Silk Dupioni Luxury Decorative Pillow Cover Only
$99.95 | Bellacor
Dahlia Resin Bath Stool - White Matte Finish
Signature Hardware
Victorian Cast Iron Wall Register
Signature Hardware
Eastwood Leather Corner Chair - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
Vig Furniture - 2226 - Modern Bonded Leather Sectional Sofa -...
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™