I get a severe telling off

ifraser25(z11 Brazil)April 17, 2011

I recently had a long and very interesting conversation with a professional grower. He gave me a severe telling off for some of my growing habits. In particular he told me never to cut off dying leaves. He told me to wait until they were about to fall then twist them off by hand. He told me I must use sterilized equipment for ANY "surgery" performed on plants, as this was a very common way of passing disease from plant to plant.

I left very chastened but grateful. I know I do not bother to do a lot of the things he told me - he also told me to spray more often - and I do lose more plants that I care to, especially smaller ones.

Final report: must do better.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_(z5 MI)

Well you're not alone, Ian. I too sometimes cut off dying leaves though I do use a sterile razor blade.

As far as "spraying more often". Not going to happen. I grow in an apartment. Spraying would expose me to the poisons too.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 2:53PM
boothbay(7)

Unfortunately, there are all so called 'experts' in any forum, and the confusion is understandable. They all mean well, including myself, but what works for one, may not for any reason work for someone else. One forum says to do 'this' and another says 'not to' this. I find its better to do what your instincts tell you, and try to use some common sense. Now, as an example, I 'tore' off my yellowing leaf in my Phal and without any sterilizing and behold...its still alive. LOL

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 9:15AM
cjwatson(Z8 FL)

I cut off dying leaves, especially if they have suspicious areas which might mean a localized bacterial or fungal infection. Why leave it there to spread to other leaves?

But I always use a sterilized blade so I don't spread any pathogens to another plant.

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 10:34AM
terpguy(7)

I think he's only talking about healthy leaves. If they are senescing naturally, then it makes sense to leave them on as long as possible so the plant can recoup as much of that energy in that leaf as possible. Is it THAT big a deal? Not really. And if the leaf is infected, definitely cut it off immediately :)

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Should I take the Orchid plunge???
We recently moved to Costa Rica from the states and...
dreamskape
Dend potting medium
I was given 2 hard cane dends packed tightly together...
bea
Should I cut off this leaf?
This may have started from misting or too much light...
cooperdr_gw
The Office "Cursed Orchid"
At my old job that I left about two weeks ago, my boss...
Nicole
Orchid potting mix?
Anyone ever used al's gritty mix as orchid potting...
Britni Rice
Sponsored Products
Taupe Antiqued Tabriz Worn 100% Wool Hand Knotted 6'x10' Oriental Rug Sh17655
1800 Get A Rug
Polished Chrome Crystal Fountain Weeping 18 Light Chandelier with Clear Glass an
Bellacor
David Bromstad "Concentric Ovals" I Artwork - 24" x 36"
Grandin Road
Capresso Froth Plus
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Meilleur Swinger Wall Sconce
Lightology
Turquoise Anya Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Amba M Shelf Straight MS-20 Hardwired Towel Warmer - MSB-20
$712.00 | Hayneedle
Waterproof RGB PixelControl LED Neon, by the Meter