Aerangis biloba keiki?

quinnfyre(z7 PA)April 3, 2010

I didn't know they even did this. I have a keiki growing at the end of a spent spike on my Aerangis biloba. I tend to just leave the spent spikes on there until they look like they will come off easily, and in any case, I haven't done that much maintenance on this case in a while anyway. Looks like maybe that turned out to be a good thing? I was adjusting the lights because both biloba and mystacidii are going orange in a major way, and checking for snails, and I saw the keiki. Fascinating.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)

That's awesome - do you have a photo?

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 8:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Not yet. I can try taking one sometime this week. I'm way behind on photos to upload. Also, it's an exciting discovery, but a little underwhelming looking at the moment. It's basically a little nubbin of leaf with a bit of root growing at the end of the old spike, hidden behind a mass of roots. We'll see if I can sneak in there and get a pic. Biloba's entrenched itself pretty solidly in my case, so I can't remove it anymore. Actually, I'm not quite sure what is removable and what is not, which wasn't the original intention, but at this point, I can't move anything that is in that case to any other case anyway, due to the bush snails issue. So they might as well all be permanently attached, ha.

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
Bent Spike
Hello, I bought a phal that has a bent spike with blooms...
Reed Gee Jr.NY- 7b
Where to buy sphagnum moss?
Hi all, Where can I buy this for my orchid? I live...
ninjali
It is show time!
Show season is in full swing. In my area I have noticed...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Short spikes? Causes?
I did get quite a few of my Phals to set spikes , but...
dakota01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™