Cattleya orchids

boothbay(7)April 16, 2011

Lowe's is selling loads of them in all sizes some going for 6.98, the next 10.98. Never tried them. I read where they need cool temperatures..that is impossible here in the NY summer..BTW, none of them show buds...so who knows when they will bloom. If they are as easy as Phals and Den, which i have tried...i may go for it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchidnick

They like it warm, lots of light but no direct sunlight and they will bloom out of the 5th or 6th growth. Count the strong pbulbs, many will bloom out of the 5th but most will do so on #6. They are easy.

Nick

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 7:56PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Not as easy as Phal or Den. Need v bright light but will burn in direct sun.Warm temps all year round 55-90F. Prone to disease.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 5:05PM
stefpix(6b NY [Brooklyn NY])

I bought some on clearance for a dollar or 2 at a Lowes. Some Cattletonyas and Blc. They were on sale because they had been sitting on the shelf 2 or 3 months. The Cattletonya is growing new growth and roots and the Epc Serena Tinkerbell is growing like a weed in my window with 5/ 5 purplish PBs.

Other were in poor shape and I cut off dead roots and PB and mostly are 2 PB and they are growing new leads.

Also got for a dollar a Trichocentrum Ollie Palmer and the leaves were shriveled and bent now it perked up. new roots and 2 new ghrowths.

SO I have been lucky with these bags. I am not sure if I can bloom them easily but I put some of these outside from Mid April to mid October.
I also saw a Bc Kosh Wallis that had a ton of new growth and spikes. looks like a Brassavola nodosa somehow.
And Bl Yellow Bird.

I would go for it, pick one or 2, you can see what is healthy.

stefano

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
My Garden Orcs
Hi I wanted to share the heralding of Spring in the...
aztcqn
Best way to grow vanilla orchid?
My vanilla cutting is starting get long so it's time...
kyrri
angraecum sesquipedale framboyant x bosorii lisa
Hi all, Two weeks ago i received an Angraecum sesquipedale...
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
Need help with Phal
I bought a Phal at HD yesterday I was attracted to...
elizabethk1
What's wrong with my Oncidium Howard's Dream?
So I divided and repotted this Onc. about a month ago....
chidali83
Sponsored Products
Radiant Orchid Ovo Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Jane Seymour Fuchsia Phalaenopsis Orchid 19H in. Silk Flower Arrangement Multico
$62.00 | Hayneedle
White Orchid & Sandalwood Candle
$14.99 | zulily
Radiant Orchid Anya Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Hanging Orchids Shower Curtain
$68.99 | Dot & Bo
Silk Orchid in Acrylic Water - F10022
$63.99 | Hayneedle
Orchid 'Wild and Free' Print
$22.99 | zulily
Blue Splendor Vase