How to get rid of Harlequin Bug

nailah(z6MO)July 21, 2012

I have Collar Greens infested with those pesty Harlequin Bug. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them without using chemical? I am in a organic community garden and unsure what to do at this point. I don't want my tomatoes nor pole beans to be infected with this little ugly bugs. It would be very difficult for me to smash each but individually as was recommended by someone else. PLEASE WHAT CAN I DO TO RID THEM?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Destroy any eggs you can find and hand pick the adults, dropping them into a bucket of soapy water. Insecticides are generally not very effective against these wee buggers, and do more harm to their predators.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harlequin Bugs

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 6:45AM
Kaley123

I tried this and then confirmed it from another website: Spray them with a mixture of water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. You have to drench them directly so you might have to come back for another treatment, but it does killed them (by suffocation?). Labor intensive but not as bad as hand picking them off of the plant.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 3:52PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Dawn dishwashing "soap" is not an acceptable organic product. It is made from petro chemicals and is a detergent. An Insecticidal Soap made from Fels Naptha, Ivory, or a castile or other type of soap made by reacting animal fats with lye would be acceptable.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 6:26AM
elisa_z5

As Kimmsr said, they can easily be killed by dropping in soapy water. I also find that they're very slow, and if you go around with a wide mouth jar of soapy water, and hold it under the plant, you can shake and/or brush loads of them into it -- much faster than picking them off individually.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
opinion on Martha Stewart organic seeds?
i can't seem to get any information on them. Really...
rathdrumid
Papaya Trees
I'm getting ready to plant a few papaya trees in my...
janellelee
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Transplanting Strawberries
I have numerous strawberry plants that grew out of...
Gregory Wilhelm
Double Post
Sorry for the double post, but I am still learning...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™