Should I give up on these peas?

Mindyw3(5)July 4, 2011

They are about 6-7 weeks old and less than a foot tall. I've tried everything to get them to grow. ANd man are they dumb. They tried to grow on everything BUT their supports and even after I twist tied them to them they are trying to grow any direction but up....

ANyway, my mother said its just too hot for them but we have had several cold days and I still see VERY little growth. Is it time to tear them out? If so, can I grow a fall crop and how?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Depends on your reasons for growing the peas. If it's just to see how they do I'd leave them alone and watch and learn. I find that some pea sowings zoom away and others just sit there. And yours would be happier climbing the wire netting than the bamboos because the tendrils like something thin to cling to. They don't twine like beans.

However, if you are actually hoping to eat some peas, however well those plants grow you will get no more than a spoonful of peas off them. You need a LOT of pea plants to get a decent crop. I can see about half a dozen there. Not enough for one portion for one person.

If it's for food - give up. If it's for curiosity - keep going. Look on it as an experiment.

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 4:31PM
chickenfreak(7)

When you try again, growing snap peas (where you eat the pod and all, sort of like a snap bean) will produce more food, though it's still not going to be a lot of food per square foot. I'm planning to attempt pole snap peas this fall; we'll see if I get anything to eat.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 4:07AM
Mindyw3(5)

I'm getting ready to plant out 3 different types, two with edible pods sometime today. The thing I don't understand about fall planting is do I need to shade the plants? Its crazy hot all the way up through september here and then usually sddenly turns cold. Our spring is the same way. We can have snow on the ground the second week of may and then 80-90 degree temps a week later. I can't seem to find a whole lot of info for climates like that.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
Papaya Trees
I'm getting ready to plant a few papaya trees in my...
janellelee
opinion on Martha Stewart organic seeds?
i can't seem to get any information on them. Really...
rathdrumid
Organic way to get rid of Bermuda grass
Probably a hopeless cause, but is there any way to...
kathyp
This article may be of interest to some here
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/why-your-garden-needs-fertilizer--or-not/2015/02/10/153eb5b8-ad6e-11e4-ad71-7b9eba0f87d6_story.html kimmq...
kimmq
What, specifically, is the objection (of many) to Milorganite?
I know there used to be a problem or worry of a problem...
gonebananas_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™