More questions from a novice

msmarion(9aPort St Lucie)April 21, 2010

I purchased a SLC three weeks ago at my local orchid society show. The vendor told me I could mount it when it was through flowering. Today was the day to tackle the project. I chose a 7x7 piece of fern fiber that I tucked away after another orchid died.

Somehow while trimming roots I knocked off an eye. While securing the plant to the fern fiber with raffia I noticed two additional eyes that seem to have been eaten by something.

My questions are:

Is a SLC a good candidate for mounting on fern fiber?

Was there anything I should have done to the recycled fern fiber before mounting a new plant on it?

Should I have cut off the two eyes?

Should I put netting or pantyhose with medium around the roots to get it started?

Thanks for your patience and answering my questions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richardol(Santa Royale CA)

1. Slc is a good candidate for mounting. Any of the smaller Catt hybrids will do very well.
2. If the treefern fiber is still holding together then you can use it. I would soak it in water with a bit of dish soap and alcohol to make sure bugs are gone. Or spray with an insecticide.
3. Don't cut anything green off. The eyes may or may not sprout, there are eyes you can't see yet.
4a. That is not necessary and also ugly. The old roots won't attach. The plant must be attached so that it will not move in some way. Catts should have little or no sphagnum.
4b. It is important that the new growth be against the mount. In the case where I don't know where that is, I prop the plant up in a pot with some rock pieces and wait until it sprouts to mount it.
5. You are welcome.

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 11:57PM
More Discussions
Why are my phal orchid bloom so late in the season?
I have 8-9 pots of phal orchid, they all have flower...
Sara_in_philly
Phal yellowing.... bottom two leaves, interior roots, base of crown
I received this phal as a Valentine's Day present,...
kmaxxy
Orchid IDs?
I got a few orchids within the months from places like...
fuzzballiscute
Habenaria radiata tubers/corms? picture
On the gallery side, I said I would post a picture...
aachenelf z5 Mpls
How to repot Prosthechea radiata cochleata?
I purchased this plant (with the little shell-like...
meri10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™