Can soybean meal be made into a tea?

gram999(6)July 28, 2010

I recently made alfalfa tea after reading on this forum, but can you make soybean meal tea? I've searched & searched & can't find anything on it.

I bought soybean meal for our lawn & am also hoping that it helps 2 maple trees that have sparse leaves & branches dying. A week ago, I "threw" alfalfa pellets from the trunks to the canopies. I probably should put this on the tree forum. I can't afford an arborist. I thought about planting 2 new maples behing them in case they die. They are 26 yrs. old. I don't see anything wrong with the bark or insect damage. If it helps, we're in the Kansas City area. I've read SBM is better than alfalfa, so I was hoping to make a tea so it would work faster.

Thanks for any ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandhill_farms(10 NV)

Aren't all soybeans in the US now GMO's? I'm under the understanding that they are but I really don't know for sure so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Greg
Nevada

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 11:10AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)
    Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 1:31PM
gram999(6)

Thanks, but I was wondering if soybean meal could be made into a tea like alfalfa tea and used for plants.

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 11:47AM
hoodat

I suppose the best way would be to make some and try it on one plant to see what happens.
RE the GMO the DNA may have been altered but even the altered parts are organic so it will break down in the soil like anything else but just to be safe I would use it on the soil and not the foliage.

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 11:36AM
gram999(6)

Thanks a lot, hoodat. I usually find answers to my questions here by searching. I don't remember asking for help before.

I've been making alfalfa tea in 5 gal buckets. The next time I need some, I'll try 1/2 alfalfa & half SBM & see what happens. My plan is to use it as a soil drench around the trees.

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 12:16PM
DrHorticulture_(Z3 Central Saskatchewan)

Not if you filter it. The protein particles have to be decomposed by soil bacteria for the nutrition to be made available to plants. A slurry is fine.

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
Got tomatoes?
The organic Earthbox tomatoes have been coming in nicely...
MrClint
Septoria leaf spot: Help!... need advice!!
After having tomatoes that were the envy of the community...
forester7
How to get rid of Moles/Voles in my Garden ???
Help !!! They are driving me nuts. I want some of my...
Natilie70
My Onion Seedlings are not standing upright!!
I started my onion seeds March 1st and the germination...
mikeman824
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Take-Me-Home Gift Set
Serena & Lily
Braxton Leather Sofa - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
Stanley Archipelago Calypso Night Stand Fathom 186-13-80 - 186-13-80
$819.00 | Hayneedle
Chambly Giclee Glow Bronze Club Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Nesso Table Lamp by Artemide
$540.00 | Lumens
Outdoor Lighting. Craftsman Collection Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Textured White
$50.00 | Home Depot
50 Marquee Cards/Plain Envelopes
$40.00 | Horchow
Handle Door Knocker
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™