Oncidium won't bloom

Sweetpea7458April 18, 2011

I have 4 oncidiums, all are on the same shelf, so they receive the same growing conditions: light(west window - Chicago), humidity and temps(winter day 70-72; night 66-68). Two plants bloom like crazy but the other two haven't bloomed in 4 years. Any suggestions on what I need to do to make the two who don't want to cooperate, bloom?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchidnick

See where they are from. Areas of Mexico and Central America are bone dry during certain times of the year. Imitate that with your plants if they are from there.

Nick

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 1:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

May I suggest that it might possibly because there is not enough difference between the day and nighttime temperature? Many of these plants originate from the Atlantic forest, an area of Brazil very close to where we live. Climatic conditions are very different from those inside the average house! In spring and fall, which are the two hottest seasons, they can soar to 90+ during the day, dropping back at night to around 60. In "winter", which is often very dry, conditions are even more extreme with a daytime max of about 80, falling at night to around 45-50, which is a lot cooler. Only in summer, which is usually more cloudy and wet is there not so much difference between the day and nighttime temp, 70-85. What you could do is put your plants outdoors for part of the year, so that they get exposed to a bigger diurnal range. Most of my plants are autumn flowering, but yours might not be.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
Phal yellowing.... bottom two leaves, interior roots, base of crown
I received this phal as a Valentine's Day present,...
kmaxxy
Is this a spike?
I know what Phal spikes look like, but am new to these......
suzabanana (6b Boston)
Habenaria radiata tubers/corms? picture
On the gallery side, I said I would post a picture...
aachenelf z5 Mpls
what other plants can you use kieke power pro on?
I brought this stuff and applied it to one of my orchids...
tlbean2004
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™