cabbages and brussel sprouts, do you rip out?

kelisk8sJuly 13, 2012

I am just learning about spring/fall plantings... I put out my spring plantings of bok choi, brussel sprouts, cabbage, and broccoli too late. The bok choi went to seed and I collected those. The broccoli is about to flower, but the brussel sprouts and cabbage look pretty good. Should I rip these last two out? How can you tell when cabbage and brussel sprouts bolt? I know I have a short growing season so I'm trying to make the most of the time I have. I plan on starting some transplants of these in the next couple days to replace what I've ripped out. Any ideas? Feedback appreciated!!!

Kelli

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

If you cut the head of a cabbage off, bu leave the rest of the plant undisturbed it will form new heads although they will be much smaller. The part of Broccoli that we harvest are the flowers, so if you keep them cut they should continue producing although those too will be smaller and smaller. I have heard that you can cut Brussels Sprouts down and allow them to regrow also although I have not tried that.
These are really cool weather crops so you may want to pull them out and plant somethign more suitable for this hot weather and follow up later with a fall crop of these.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 6:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I think it would be a good idea to try this question over on the Vegetable Forum where there are people who will know your conditions. I am very dubious about cutting down the Brussels sprouts because in my climate they have a very long growing season. Sow in March, plant out May/June and harvest Oct - February depending on variety. So I really doubt you can start from scratch now and get Brussels sprouts before the winter. I have never heard of cutting them down and can see no reason for it. You say the cabbage and sprouts look pretty good so why would you want to get rid of them? You'd be putting them back by months. They are biennials and if they survive the winter they will bolt next spring. You can tell they've bolted because they will have large bunches of yellow flowers.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
opinion on Martha Stewart organic seeds?
i can't seem to get any information on them. Really...
rathdrumid
Tips for Starting an Organic Garden
See: http://blogs.usda.gov/2015/03/17/tips-for-starting-an-organic-garden/...
henry_kuska
Papaya Trees
I'm getting ready to plant a few papaya trees in my...
janellelee
My Onion Seedlings are not standing upright!!
I started my onion seeds March 1st and the germination...
mikeman824
Espoma Organic Tomato Tone - Truly Organic ?
Can anyone tell me if Espoma Organic Tomato Tone is...
Marshallkey
Sponsored Products
Red Extra-Coarse Grater
$7.99 | zulily
Avacado - 16" x 20"
Grandin Road
K'NEX Plants vs. Zombies Pirate Seas Plank Walk Building Set - 53444
$47.75 | Hayneedle
Lettuce - 16" x 20"
Grandin Road
Squash - 16" x 20"
Grandin Road