New orchid owner, two species.

Indigo_smiledMay 25, 2011

I went a bit crazy today buying plants I know nothing about. I know a bit, I've loved orchids for a long time, but I don't know about caring for particular species.

First I bought a pale yellow phalaenopsis, which is lovely but seem pretty common. It's in a solid (no drainage) pot in what appears to be mossy stuff. I am afraid this will allow the roots to rot, but I thought I'd ask people who know something about it!

My other orchid is a lovely bakerara. It's my favorite, but don't tell the other one. It's roots are kinda overflowing and it is in a typical thin black nursery pot. It is in some kind of loose dirt.

I have many orchid pots, orchid bark, orchid fertilizer, and various kinds of dirt and dirt additives.

What the heck do I do for these beauties?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

Is there any other information on the plant labels such as another word after Phalaenopsis or Bakerara? As for care, that depends on where you are in the USA and sometimes newly acquired plants might not need repotting for a year or so.
So maybe the best thing to do is nothing other than provide good growing conditions.

Your Phalaenopsis is probably a hybrid.....a mixture of species.
Your Baker ara (that's how to say the name) is a mixture of species from these related Genera. Oncidium, Brassia, Miltonia and Odontoglossum

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 3:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richardol(Santa Royale CA)

Usually Phals in a solid pot also have an inner pot under the green moss decorative top layer. If that is the case, pull it out and set that in a regular clay pot without re-potting.

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 4:35AM
More Discussions
stanhopea
I'd like to try growing the stanhopea orchid. do you...
greendale63
what other plants can you use kieke power pro on?
I brought this stuff and applied it to one of my orchids...
tlbean2004
my phalenopsis has a baby orchid on the stem
what do i do? I've never seen this before
ekkiemom
V. Kriangkrai yellow
Hi these is the first V. Kriangkrai yellow i have....
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
Dendrobium in potting moss
I have this two new babies in my collection. I noticed...
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™