dye-ing phalaenopsis

ashes_of_the_fire(6B)May 30, 2012

no emergency here, just thought that i'd share a bit of recently acquired knowledge with anyone who's interested.

a while back, someone had posted that ordinary food dye could be injected into the flower stalks of a phalaenopsis to dye the flowers. I just tried this on my plant and it works!

It will take an awful lot of dye to get full colour saturation, and the stalk has track marks, but so far no flowers have fallen off, and no leaves or roots have died.

just thought you all might like to know that this doesn't appear to be harmful to the plant, this is it's 2nd week of having dye in its system.

ashes

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whitecat8(z4 MN)

I treasure my Phals for the exact coloring and markings they have naturally. Sometimes, mass production growers dye Phals for the big box stores. You're the first individual I recall who's colored a Phal. WhiteCat8

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 11:25PM
denninmi(8a)

I think that dyeing tends to shorten the flower life of most things quite a bit. Plants that are sprayed with dye/pigment such as poinsettias definitely tend to abort the flowers/bracts much faster than ones that are not.

A regional chain of "superstores" here in the midwest was promoting their blue phals for Mothers Day. Quite a disgusting abomination IMHO, and most of them were pretty dead looking in the store already, whether it was the dye or just the fact that, like any big box, they abuse the plants, is hard to say.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 5:02AM
bobyoe(z6 PA)

That blue is really shockingly unnatural, isn't it?

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 7:22AM
More Discussions
Orchids, please help
Need help for my lost Orchid food. I used "Safer,...
woofcar
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
Where to buy sphagnum moss?
Hi all, Where can I buy this for my orchid? I live...
ninjali
my phalenopsis is dead or almost anythimg I can do
i hah a phal with air roots and regular roots. the...
ekkiemom
Orchid forum link
Hi Bob, This is the link you sent me. I hope it works. Thank...
tanie51
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™