I think I need a filter for my muni water

woohoomanJuly 15, 2014

What's a good, economical hose filter for my crappy municipal water. I know the ph is way high(8.1), but it's all the other crap I'm sure that's in it that is probably, slowly but surely, deteriorating my soil food web as the season goes along.

Or would it just be cheaper to make up compost tea ever couple weeks to keep the microbes in the soil?

Where should I shop?

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glib(5.5)

I think the best protection is lots of organic matter for chemical buffering. I have yet to water this year, but for sure my tap water is not great (pH=9.2). In my water, there re about 30,000 ppm of Ca, a larger amount of CaCO3, and 0.6 ppm of Cl. I have no doubt that it is the Ca, and not the Cl, that makes it worse.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 3:00PM
planterjeff(7b Grant Park Atlanta)

So if you really want a filter in your hose, I do have a way. I have a drip hose that runs from my a/c condensation and do this for it. It gets out most heavy metals, chlorine and all that. Not going to do much for bacteria, but you really don't need to worry about that.
Buy a britta water bottle replacement filter. One like this: https://www.brita.com/products/replacement-filters/bottle-filters-2-pack/
They are long and skinny and about the exact width of a hose. put a rim of caulk around the filters top and shove it into the hose. The caulk will dry and form a seal so that all water must pass through your filter as it exits the hose. Just pull it out after about 3-6 months and replace as needed.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 3:23PM
grubby_AZ

One problem with trying to filter water in a hose is the flow rate. You can certainly keep up with hose flow if you are using a particle filter, the pleated paper kind, but if you want to treat water, say with a carbon filter, you will have so little contact time that the only result will be a waste of pressure.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 6:30PM

grubby_me, have you ever seen how a britta carbon filter works? There is not impeding of the water flow and the filtration is instant based on charged carbon ions. You would be correct if you were talking about block filters that require pressure, but the item i am mentioning is a loose carbon based filtration. These do significantly reduce chlorine and other chemicals.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 10:44AM
glib(5.5)

Of course, one is left with the problem of giving pressure to the water coming out of a Brita filter. Drip will not work, a soaker hose will not work, and a handheld hose will not work. Only flooding will work.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 12:25PM
conchitaFL(10 Hutchinson Island)

Try an RV filter that attaches to the end of the hose. They aren't that expensive, but they don't last very long if you go through a lot of gallons watering.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 6:47PM

Ok one last try here: The brita filter i listed is not a drip, it is a full flow, no impeding. These are free flow driven and are instant filtration. Obviously previous posters do not know how a britta filter works and must not own one. They filter just as fast as you can pour water through them.

LAST TRY:

This filter will not slow your flow!

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 3:40PM
conchitaFL(10 Hutchinson Island)

Neither will an RV filter, and for plants you don't want to filter out all the minerals that a Brita will remove.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 11:39PM
art_1(10 CA)

I am not sure that it is worth it, unless you can tell that you need it or there is a great improvement somehow. Maybe the RV filter or something like that, but for the most part a filter that attaches to a hose may not filter very much that hasn't already been filtered out of drinking water. If you really wanted to you could get large containers like rain barrels and a filter system that fills the barrels, more slowly than a garden hose would.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
Earth, A new wild
If you have not yet seen this series, there are 4 programs,...
kimmq
Informal mycorrhizae trials thread
Background: As a result of the mycorrhizae discussion...
ralleia
This article may be of interest to some here
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/why-your-garden-needs-fertilizer--or-not/2015/02/10/153eb5b8-ad6e-11e4-ad71-7b9eba0f87d6_story.html kimmq...
kimmq
What, specifically, is the objection (of many) to Milorganite?
I know there used to be a problem or worry of a problem...
gonebananas_gw
Re aphids - don't ants eat aphids?
I found what I think are aphids on my Salvia. Only...
ellenr22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™