To cut ... or NOT to cut???

LynneNY(z6)May 3, 2011

I have a couple of phals and have been reading both directions and am getting so confused! I've only be successful in getting one to rebloom - on the old stems of one I bought last year.

Now I was gifted with a Blue Diamond (the horror of it!) and the tag says:

"when flowers fade, cut spike near the base of the plant, and put the plant in a new location for 4-8 weeks. Keep the temperature consistent at 50-60*F. When a new flower spike emerges, return plant to original location to encourage flowering."

I have never been lucky enough to have a new stem grow on any of these plants, but as I said, was finally successful on the old stems of last years purchase.

What to do? What to do???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richardol(Santa Royale CA)

You should either cut or not cut. Cutting is better for the long-term health of the plant. Not cutting can allow the spike to branch and produce a few more flowers.

The reason that your plants have not re-bloomed is that the light level where you are growing it is too low. A nice east window without direct sunlight will do it.

The 50-60F instruction refers to the fact that these hybrids also respond to a fall temperature drop. I have heard of people putting Phals in the garage each night for a month to fool the plant.

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 11:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terpguy(7)

Richards right, increase your light. I will say though that since you are in z6 they can take a bit of direct sunlight. Sun up till noon or maybe 4 til sunset. This is how I grow mine here in z7 and they thrive.

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
Damaged orchid is growing leaves out its side?
Okay so back story first so anyone reading this understands...
shelbianne
Question on dendrobium nobile
Since my den stopped blooming a while ago, I didn't...
vtandrea
Should I cut off this leaf?
This may have started from misting or too much light...
cooperdr_gw
Laelia (Cattleya) Purpurata var anelata
My big purpurata blooms in May for me. It has one...
Boby Huffard
Dem kingianum flower spikes turning brown early
I purchased a dem kingianum recently at an orchid show...
Creative Soapstone LLC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™