Serenade; thoughts and results?

novice_2009(zone 6b)July 17, 2010

I recently ordered some Serenade. From what I can gather so far, it's better at prevention and not tx?

I haven't used it yet, but have plants that would benefit from it.

I'm wondering: Has anyone used this?

What do you think of it? What have been your results with it as far as preventing/controlling dx?

Is it too late in the year to use it?

Any comments greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
manure

I used to work in a laboratory that tested out various fungicides on citrus trees. Serenade provided about 50 percent control of whatever disease we were testing it on. This isnÂt very good compared to the industry standard fungicide. Here is the good news though. I have a feeling that with organic fertilizer plants will experience less pressure from disease. I canÂt prove that but that is what I've noticed. With less pressure from disease you can get away with a less powerfull fungicide. Its a protectant like all fungicides. You have to apply it before infection. If the tissue you are trying to protect expands rapidly then you will have exposed spots that will be susceptible to infection. You may need to spray several times. What do you mean my tx and dx?

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 11:50AM
nandina(8b)

There have been some reports here on GW on Serenade. Have you done an all site search yet? The 'other' organic fungicide, Actinovate, is controlling a serious Take-All fungus problem plaguing my St. Augustine lawn. I have also seen posts which indicate Actinovate is working well on tomato fungus problems. Do some research to see if it would help whatever your situation is. Just remember, treatment of fungus problems must start early in the growing season to be most effective.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 2:28PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Serenade is a bio fungicide and needs to be applied to the plants before the disease it is to control appears, or at the very first sign of that disease, and that is one reason why some research has not found it to be very effective, they applied it too late in the progression of the disease.
Many people, mostly those of "conventional" gardening bent of mind, think all plants will get diseases, and that will be true for those "conventional" gardeners. However an organic garden with a good healthy soil will see less of that kind of a problem.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 7:34AM
novice_2009(zone 6b)

Thanks for the input. Disease of spicebush has taken hold, so I guess it won't help it? Perhaps I will use it in the future when putting out new plants prone to fungal problems, for ex: tomato.
I was wanting to save the spicebush....I haven't seen Actinovate in any of my gardening catalogs, and can't order anything online.
Thanks again.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 1:35PM
Michael

Manure, all fungicides are not protectants, there are those that are systemic locally and those that are translocated throughout the plant. S and Cu formulations are examples of some other protectant types.

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 10:47PM
Michael

Whoops, I meant to say not all fungicides are protectants.

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 10:49PM
musickep(7)

Serenade worked on my tomato plants......after the disease hit. Early blight was taking a hold of them and i have them way too closely planted. I also had end blossom rot.... I picked off as many bad leaves as I could, used some calcium carbonate (added to water) and watered them with it for extra calcium, and then sprayed with serenade several times - and I have great looking tomato plants now.

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 9:23PM
MstrPBK(4)

1) Has anyone used Serenade with seed propagation (in my case I am looking at Hosta seed).

2) has anyone used this product in direct tandem with other fertilizers ot should it be appointed separately?

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA

Bookmark   December 2, 2014 at 2:09AM
More Discussions
Tips for Starting an Organic Garden
See: http://blogs.usda.gov/2015/03/17/tips-for-starting-an-organic-garden/...
henry_kuska
Got tomatoes?
The organic Earthbox tomatoes have been coming in nicely...
MrClint
Food Taste
Sr Albert Howard is discussing on this and the following...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
What, specifically, is the objection (of many) to Milorganite?
I know there used to be a problem or worry of a problem...
gonebananas_gw
Use of Horse manure
Good People- I have access to an unlimited supply of...
bspatial5
Sponsored Products
Dale Tiffany Petula Tulip Accent Lamp
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Victorian Serenade Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Serenade 21" Wide Cafe Noir Silver Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Rainbow Fish Chime
| Dot & Bo
Green & Tan Serenading Frog Birdbath
$39.99 | zulily
Engineered Hardwood: Shaw Flooring Troubadour Hickory Serenade 1/2 in. Thick x
$5.69 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™