How often should I water?

stephf(5a)May 19, 2011

I have a phal that used to be potted in moss. It was really easy then for me to figure out when to water because I would just wait for the moss to completely dry out. I would say I watered every week and a half to two weeks. I recently repotted it into a bark mixture and it's more difficult for me to tell when to water. The bark mixture seems to dry out very quickly and I am tempted to water every 2 days or so because it appears completely dried out to me. How often should I be watering my phal in the bark mixture? I don't want to over water, but I don't want to neglect the poor thing either!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jane__ny(9-10)

If the bark is dry, you could soak the plant/pot in a bowl of water for about an hour or longer. Once the bark is wet, you can judge how long it takes to dry out. You get a 'feel' for the weight of the pot. Some people like to use the skewer method to determine when the bark is dry.

Jane

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 2:00PM
orchid126(z6, NJ)

Put a trimmed down kitchen skewer into the medium and leave it there. The next time you think the plant needs water take out the skewer and touch it to your cheek, lip, or the back of your hand. If it's dry or just moist, water. If it's wet, don't water. How wet or dry the skewer is before you water depends on the needs of the orchid. Phals like to almost dry out before being watered again.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 5:04PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Here's a tip I picked up from an orchid growing friend. Every compost is different. Some dry out fast and others take an age and you're right, it's not that easy to tell by look or feel. Buy some cress (or any another fast germinating) seed and sow it on the compost after watering. See how long it takes for the seedlings to wilt. That will be your average watering time, plus a day or two.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 7:49PM
jane__ny(9-10)

So true. I'm guilty of letting some weeds grow to remind me when to water. Clover is good; it has deeper roots and when it wilts, I water. Not very attractive, but it does work.

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
orcid roots really short
do i need to worry alot about not getting the plant...
Katie Parker
What's wrong with my Oncidium Howard's Dream?
So I divided and repotted this Onc. about a month ago....
chidali83
My Orchids need help!!!
I have had these orchids for almost a year now. I have...
alexandraaaaa
is orcid doomed? (is it doomed by over watering?
I have a Phalaenopsis orcid and I live in eastern Iowa...
Katie Parker
Question on dendrobium nobile
Since my den stopped blooming a while ago, I didn't...
vtandrea
Sponsored Products
Teak Wall-Mount Soap Dish
Signature Hardware
Lizzy Country Blue Small Pillow
$38.00 | Bellacor
Christopher Knight Home Chatham Dark Espresso Bonded Leather Storage Ottoman
Overstock.com
Crossing Diamond Runner 2'6" x 8' - IVORY
$229.00 | Horchow
Purple & White Dot Ribbon Monogram Plate
$34.99 | zulily