No Tassles on My corn

slackerJuly 29, 2008

Hello all, My corn has no tassles as of yet. They are healthy green, varing between 4 - 6 feet tall. 100% organic, yet no tassles. Any Ideas???

History : planted in April, 2 feedings with multi-bloom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcstoehr

Take a look straight down thru the top of some plants and see if you can see the beginnings of any tassels. They'll be green but won't look like leaves.
Are there any silks? Tassels and silks should arrive at about the same time so that the tassels can drop pollen on the silks. If neither silks nor tassels are present, but you just need to wait a bit longer.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 4:46PM
urbanfarmertim(5b London, ON)

As it turns out, I've been researching this today because I have tassels but no silks (I have popcorn which is about 7ft tall, but others are talking about sweet corn as well). Long story short: it's been an odd year with all the rain. The tassels will come, and don't be surprised if the silks don't come for a few weeks afterwards. Everyone is reporting average or better crops even with the silks coming well after the tassels, so it seems patience is in order...

Cheers,

Tim

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 8:53PM
slacker

Thanks guys.... I pulled the trigger to soon.... i was just down in the garden (micro farm??? how bigg does it have to be to be conscidered a micro farm) and the tassles are starting to show

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
Transplanting Strawberries
I have numerous strawberry plants that grew out of...
Gregory Wilhelm
Bone meal....make your own?
Hey, I hate throwing stuff away, even bones, so I was...
idogcow
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Flowers and neonictinoids
I am in the Burbank California area. I have a small...
ltlredwagon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™