tunnel spider-my garden friend

novice_2009(zone 6b)July 9, 2009

This morning I was double digging a corner of my garden, getting ready for some fall root crops and lettuce. Getting rid of rocks, amending clay soil with humus, sand, vermicilite. I found a hole, at first I thought it was a snake hole, but at the bottom I found a HUGE spider, one I've never seen before. I covered him back up with dirt, hoping he'd stick around. I talked to my husbands's friend Larry, who owns a large farm not too far away, who told me what kind it was. He said it was a tunnel spider- and that they eat grasshoppers, crickets, etc. Well, I'm glad to have him around!! Anyone ever encounter one of these in the garden? Know anymore about them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Possibly what you have is one of the "wolf spiders". People often simply make up names for many critters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wolf spiders

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 6:56AM
the_gurgler(DFW TX 7b Sunset 33)

Wolf spiders and lady bugs are probably the most abundant and effective beneficials in my garden.

This spring I found a wolf spider protecting an egg sac about every 3-5 sqft in my mulched areas. I was surprised at the density.

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 11:25AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

novice, what did your spider look like (other than the size)? The reason I ask is that you mentioned finding this spider in a hole. Trap-door spiders (sometimes called funnel web spiders) can be found in your neck of the woods.

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 2:50PM
PaulaW(z7 MD)

Was it this guy?

We have these, but we only see them once or twice a year when the male comes out of the ground and goes looking for a mate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purseweb Spider

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 8:34PM
novice_2009(zone 6b)

I think it's also called a funnel web spider, i've seen a lot of wolf spiders, and this was NOT one of those. It was large, black and shiny, with very large, pale pink abdomen- best description i can give considering i covered him up quickly with dirt!

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 3:55PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Your description is great, novice.

I'm a semi-reformed arachniphobe...this is one of the spiders that still gives me the absolute creeps. :-) Thanks for the shivers!

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 5:08PM
novice_2009(zone 6b)

Lol, rhizo. Usually spiders don't bother me, when I was 18 I had a tarantula for a pet!!! I see spiders all over the place, and welcome them for their usefullness.
However, this spider was FREAKY and I myself got a few shivers after thinking what the ... is that?
Anyone else have these particular spiders around?

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 10:02PM
sudzy(5b IL)

Paulaw: thanks for excellent website link. DANG. Didn't know there were THAT many types of insects lurking in my garden. Gives me shivers! Sudzy

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 12:43AM
novice_2009(zone 6b)

Paulaw, he looked a lot like that, except abdomen was very large- maybe he was full from all the bugs!!! Yes, I believe that was it.

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Nematodes
I was going to order some beneficial nematodes and...
woohooman
How to get rid of yellow jackets
We have a large nest of yellow jackets in the ground...
annafl
Informal mycorrhizae trials thread
Background: As a result of the mycorrhizae discussion...
ralleia
Double Post
Sorry for the double post, but I am still learning...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™