The early bird gets the worm-------

orchidnickMay 26, 2011

Late on Tuesday I received a message that a cold grower (hobbyist, not commercial) with a large collection, needs to drastically reduce it for some reason. I had things planned the next day which I immediately canceled, got up at 4AM the next day, watered and headed out. 7 hours later I was like a kid at 'Toys Are Us' looking at three hundred plants or more. I was not the first one, someone got there first and hauled off a bunch of Pleurothallids and Lepanthes. What I saw was a group of nice healthy plants of different sizes at 1/3 the going price or less. Many were $3 to $5, most of the larger ones around $10.

The early bird may get the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese, I guess I was the second mouse. I started loading up and as I was nearly finished someone showed up, who in a heartbeat, grabbed more than she could carry followed by someone else. I heard that several people had made appointments for Saturday, don't know how much will be left by then.

This morning I cataloged the bounty:

44 Masdevallias

10 Draculas (5 large flowered ones)

5 Pleurothallids

1 Restrepia

1 Porro

1 Dryadalla

1 Dendrobium (cold growing)

Even though it cost $100 for gas and I spent countless hours driving, I consider myself lucky and am very happy with the result. There is a big hole in my pocket and if someone wants to absorb some of the pain, many of the plants are divisible and in the feeding frenzy, I am guilty of a couple of duplications. Contact me directly for either a trade or whatever if there is interest. All are cold-growers, no give there.

When an opportunity like that arrives, it's imperative to GET THERE QUICKLY!

Nick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richardol(Santa Royale CA)

A great group of plants, Nick, worth the trip I am sure. And do we really count gasoline cost when there is a bargain to be had.

None of your excess plants would make it in my greenhouse. My low temperature is near their high temperature.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 10:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)

Great story and something that I too would totally do. Despite our varied tastes and opinions, all of us growers share an eclectic burning interest in our plants, and that's really pretty darn awesome.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
orid lighting examples with pics/ how do you use orcid bloom enhance
Could some people post a pic of where they keep their...
Katie Parker
What's wrong with my phan?
Hi, I need some help with my orchid. This is what happened: The...
adelalis
Using left over botted water for orcid?
If you had a leftover bottle of water that you hadnt...
Katie Parker
Laelia (Cattleya) Purpurata var anelata
My big purpurata blooms in May for me. It has one...
Boby Huffard
Dem kingianum flower spikes turning brown early
I purchased a dem kingianum recently at an orchid show...
Creative Soapstone LLC
Sponsored Products
Scooba Hardfloor Cleaning Solution
$12.50 | FRONTGATE
Big Wave Lime Round Outdoor Folding Table
Euro Style Lighting
Silver Lining Metallic 32" Round Brezza Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
freshâ„¢ Odor Eliminator
$24.50 | FRONTGATE
Beaded Skull - 8-1/4"H
Grandin Road