Cholla cactus skeleton for mounting, any suggestions?

picotee_sofl(Z10)May 20, 2008

I picked up a nice, hard cholla cactus skeleton this morning and am soaking it now in preparation for mounting a couple of my mini catts. Anyone use them? Any suggestions? Wondering how lasting they are. TIA

Marci

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kckerobe(Zone 8 TX)

I used for a few different plants... Paph Sanderium seedlings don't seem to care for them, I guess it maybe be they are slow grower. The mini phals love them -- and it's very cool watching their big green roots wondering all over the pockets; my Ang didieri & Podangis dactyloceras each have 2 spikes & they are mounted on cholla wood. Gastrochilus japonicus took off big time when I switched it from pot to mounted (also cholla wood) -- the roots are just growing wild, snaking all over the wood.

As far as how long they last -- I am not sure, I only started using them this year. I lucked out & found the only bag left in the craft aisle @ Wal-mart (5 pieces in different dimension) one late night just right b4 the repotting frenzy started. They seem sturdy enough to my clumsy fingers during the mounting process.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 7:01PM
picotee_sofl(Z10)

Thank you, kckerobe, I hadn't thought about mini phals but you just gave me a great idea. This may be just the ticket for my Phal mannii that just doesn't seem happy. Thanks for the suggestion! Marci

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 7:38PM
Ginge(Mo.)

I use cholla skeletons a lot for mounts one of them is at least 7 years old no sign of rotting I will put a picture in the gallery . Phals love them it is my choice of mounting material .. Gin

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 10:20PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Gin, do you stuff the cholla with moss to retain water longer? Course with you having a greenhouse, I imagine you could just water more often.........

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 8:51PM
sambac(z10fl)

Marci and Gin , I am waiting for pics on the gallery side>)
I was thrilled when I found some Louisiana drift wood in one of the local nurseries- about 4 feet tall- different shapes for 10 bucks a piece. Picked up a few, want to mount Schoms( mini like albopurpurea) and aggregatum on the entire mount. Can't wait for Hamlyn to return. BTW Marci, was Hamyln at Redlands?
Mounting Phals sounds very interesting- may go looking for some Cholla mounts!!

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 10:02PM
picotee_sofl(Z10)

Sambac - that driftwood sounds great and I wanna see pics when you mount those Schoms. That should be amazing. The aggregatum will be gorgeous- a shower of gold. Wow! I successfully (well, time will tell!) mounted my Phal mannii to the cholla and also mounted a tiny Phal lueddemanniana to a hollowed out cork 'tube.' Hope they are happy. I don't want to lose either one.
Re Hamlyn: I don't recall seeing them at Redland's but I could have missed them. The vendor list may still be up on the Redland's website.

Marci

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
Question on dendrobium nobile
Since my den stopped blooming a while ago, I didn't...
vtandrea
What's wrong with my Oncidium Howard's Dream?
So I divided and repotted this Onc. about a month ago....
chidali83
Best way to grow vanilla orchid?
My vanilla cutting is starting get long so it's time...
kyrri
In bloom 27 months and counting...
Dendrobium Hialeah twist. (Spiker x canaliculatum)...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Interesting... my dog had a tumor 'explode'
Okay, I think this is interesting and since I'd never...
tuezday1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™