Little Bugs in my Corn

vtfolkgirlJuly 16, 2006

My corn is growing really well and it's about 5 feet tall. I just noticed it starting to grow the actual corn, I think. I'm new to this! They look like wheat stalks inside the leaves of the corn. But to my suprise, I saw a whole colony of little black bugs. There might be little white things too, but they didn't quite look like bugs or that they moved at all. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. Because I have no clue what to do or how bad they are.

I also have had some japanese beetles that I keep drowning! Any helpful hints? I want to keep it all organic!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

The things that "look like wheat stalks inside the leaves" are probably the tassel (male).

The little black bugs are most likely aphids while the white things are their cast skins.

Bookmark   July 17, 2006 at 12:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boxbeast

The tassels are not the actual corn, they're where the pollen comes from. The corn will grow out from the side of the cornstalk, like from where one of the leaves meets the stem. This should happen pretty soon.

If you start to see damage from the aphids, you can wash them off with the hose or hit them with a little insecticidal soap (NOT dish soap).

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
Food Taste
Sr Albert Howard is discussing on this and the following...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
trustworthy organic fertilizer
Is Espoma truly an organic product company?
Linda Ziegler
Companion Planting Newbie Needs Help
Hi everyone! This is my first post here and I'm needing...
flutterby64
What, specifically, is the objection (of many) to Milorganite?
I know there used to be a problem or worry of a problem...
gonebananas_gw
Rock salt and asparagus
Someone told me he contols weeds in his asparagus patch...
kept
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™